Small Woodland Owners' Group

April - what I have done this month

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby tracy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:46 am

You can read all about Management Planners (Wales) in the January, Feb and March ( I think) newsletters. Shane wrote about his job. We also have a meeting coming up where you can find out more:

http://www.swog.org.uk/swog-events/better-woodland-for-wales-near-llanddewi-n-wales-5th-june-2010/

tracy

Postby Keith Williams » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:08 am

Out photographing Saturday morning at dawn in Kent woodland on a bushcraft course, came across an unusual hazard. Heard bird alarms and zeroed in expecting a fox or similar - didn't see anything. A bit later I met an army sergeant, apparently I'd been reported as the enemy by the army cadet unit I'd detected by the animal disturbance they'd caused. Our bushcraft school hadn't been told we were sharing the woods. Good tracking practise to find where they were, and I was very impresed with their ability to remain quiet and unseen.

Keith Williams

Postby Exeldama » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Only 1 session at the wood this month what with work committments.

But over 4 days i dug two ponds,cleared a trackway, widened a ride, planted 11 trees, dug an interconnecting trench for another pond. Strengthened my main entrance, ate sandwiches, cleared around a lovely oak, bought in a lovely picnic bench, started a circular pathway around the wood, ate more sandwiches,fed the birds, watched the first ponds colonial inhabitants. Removed an old barbed wire fence, ate additional sandwiches...and revised for an exam whilst watching Marsh Tits eat..My Sandwiches

Exeldama

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:22 pm

April, Spring has Sprung

Had a really good day with Julian Evans and Steve from Butterfly Conservation at the SWOG Meeting and checked on our wood on the way back. All saplings okay.

The 30th being the last day of April will see us preparing for an archeological survey of our and neighbours woods and mauling a huge pile of cut wood which is the last physical exercise for April

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby DaveTaz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:57 pm

Checked our nest boxes and found one of the Tawny Owl boxes is now occupied - by a Tawny owl!

Only one egg had been laid at the time when I checked. Hopefully there will be a full clutch by now

DaveTaz

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities