Small Woodland Owners' Group

Charge for permitted development?

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby Binz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:05 am

re what will be considered temporary or permanent, I had this response from the council while deciding what to do with our partbuilt shelter

"  Permanence:

 Making of a physical change or alteration to the land of some permanence

 E.g. erection of chalets/marquees/buildings with the prospect of permanence.

 Permanence does not equate with “indefinitely”

 Physical attachment:

 In itself inconclusive but to be taken with other factors.

 Can be “attached” by its’ own weight and design.

 All factors to be considered but one factor may be more significant.

 In essence: has there been a change of some permanence to the condition, state or quality of the land?

A structure is not necessarily temporary because of a lack of a solid base or that it is of lightweight construction. With regards to the potential options for a shelter, the kit form garage/garden shed would require permission on this basis. Also, the use of the caravan for non-residential/forestry purposes would not require permission so long as it was removed from the woods between separate spells of coppicing/management work. I appreciate there are many caravans further in to the woods however the majority have been there for many years and as such would appear to be immune from enforcement proceedings. "

Exeldama; is it something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Standard-Bell-Tent-roll-up-walls-Scout-tipi-yurt-/130576551130?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item1e66f80cda

Binz

Postby Emma S » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 am

ooohhh, dont get me started on the going on for 2 years tents in a wood fiasco!!!

Emma S

Postby Henrietta » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I wouldn't advise building a shed without applying for Permitted Developement. Someone I know put a shed in their wood, not realising they needed permission and were forced to go for retrospective full planning permission, which they did get fortunately.

Henrietta

Postby docsquid » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 am

We have been told that as our wood has a TPO, no development is "permitted" and therefore for everything we have to get planning permission. That said, it has always been granted, but is more expensive.

docsquid

Postby RichardKing » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:23 am

Spotted this ad

http://arbtrader.arbtalk.co.uk/forestry-caravan/

Just tow it in & tow it out

RichardKing

Postby solar bud » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Well, apparently my woodland shelter does not qualify as permitted development as it is not reasonably necessary for forestry and comes more under recreational use.

This means that I will have to go for full planning permission if I want to go ahead.

On the plus side, I get my £61 back and the guy in planning seems friendly, he is going to get back to me after talking with his boss to see what my chances are. Apparently because I've been upfront with them and they like the plans for my woodland, it might count in my favour. And I could go for something a bit more substantial.

Alternatively I could just be satisfied with the level area I've made in the hillside and string up a couple of tarps over it.

Hmm...

solar bud

Postby northmetking » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi solar bud,

just wondering what sort of size/type your proposed shelter was, and if you already have any sort of shelter(s) up?

We only recently got our woodland, but are now approaching the stage of wanting some sort shelter - a shed or caravan at least.

Also, does anyone know if you need permission for a long-drop compost loo/tree bog?

Surely that doesn't count as a shelter?

northmetking

Postby Bellhurst » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 am

For an interesting article, see www.woods4sale.co.uk/planning_permissiveness_in_our_forests.htm

Bellhurst

Re: Charge for permitted development?

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Chunkymunky

Previous

Return to All things legal