Small Woodland Owners' Group

ancient woodland with TPO

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

ancient woodland with TPO

Postby paulorna » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:17 am

hi there, i read the post on buying sssi woodlands and noticed the varying opinions...i am close to completing on some woodland in kent, but it is ancient and has a tpo..could any of u with this kind of woodland reasure me that i will still be able to use it for recreation, kids enjoyment, green wood working and erection of hides for wildlife watching,,, replies would be grateful as its a life savings/alot of money... and i dont want to be wound in red tape.. please help.

kind regards paul
paulorna

Re: ancient woodland with TPO

Postby splodger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 am

have you spoken to your local forestry commission ?
they should be able to advise you on TPO's etc
splodger

Postby paulorna » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:49 pm

thx splodger i havent yet ,, i didnt want to appear on the radar.. i may have to tho !! much of the articles i have read seems to put me off.. i fully respect coservation, but may hinder my requirements !! 2day i have found the great crested newt in the pond..so now that has all the bells ringing !! its a shame as its a lovely site... the risk of being fined (unlimited) for accidently disturbing their habitat is far from the direction i am willing to travel in !! my search will continue in the morning for some woodland... gutted really ! :cry:
paulorna

Postby tracy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Paulorna,

Don't let the TPO put you off! You would have a few extra things to think about, but as far as I am aware, it just means your woodland will have some extra help and protection. You would still be able to camp and enjoy the woodland, you would just need to chat with your local FCO about some requirements. they would be very happy to help you with any questions that you have and give you advice on taking care of your newts. As long as you were not intending to use the woodland for quad biking, or something it should not really be a problem.
I suggest you find out more about why the TPO is there, and how to work with it. it is ok!

Hope you find the wood you are looking for
Tracy
tracy

Return to All things legal