Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodman`s hut built 4 years ago, ok or not?

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Woodman`s hut built 4 years ago, ok or not?

Postby sam355 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi,
I hear if you have a woodman`s hut built and are using it to keep tools, stay dry & for general woodland management purposes and it has been there for more than 3 or 4 years then the council can not legally ask for it to be taken down. Is that correct?
Regards,
Sam
sam355

Re: Woodman`s hut built 4 years ago, ok or not?

Postby Rankinswood » Tue May 10, 2016 11:55 am

Hi Sam,

I doubt that is the case however under permitted development you can erect a building for which there is a "need" providing this is more than 25 metres from the nearest road. You are required to make a Prior Notification submission to the local council to provide them with the opportunity to confirm that you do not need planning permission and of course to pay them the appropriate fee (£80).

Search this site for Permitted Development.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby sam355 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks Rankinswood,
will need to look into it as the wood I`m planning to purchase has two huts built in it... Owner uses it as a woodmans hut and has not informed the council (as far as I know).
Regards,
Sam
sam355

Postby Wendelspanswick » Wed May 11, 2016 7:30 am

If it's been there for 4 years or more and no one has objected then you are immune from enforcement action from the LA. You can apply for a Certificate of Lawfullness if the LA dispute this.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... -nv-8HEqhw
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri May 13, 2016 10:22 am

One which you might want to keep quiet about Sam355 ( I would keep it to yourself until after purchase);

The law changed in 2014. Any disused agricultural building that was in place prior to 2013 can be converted to residential accommodation under permitted development, subject to proving usual formalities such as suitable access and services like sewage. Forestry buildings come under the broader class of 'agricultural' buildings. Councils are (illegally) refusing many applications, but they are going through on appeal as they are being over zealous and going against the spirit of the new laws, which is meant to enable easier development of unused agricultural buildings. Round here we have a sudden spate of new barn conversions.

Chances are its not large enough for a home, but it could be rebuilt as a weekend cabin or bijoux off grid residence, which would add to the value and pleasurable use to the wood.
oldclaypaws

Return to All things legal