Small Woodland Owners' Group

Determining acreage

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby jillybean » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:40 am

You could try a Bushnell yardage pro 450 for rangefinding on golf courses and for shooting, its also rather good at measuring woods. in meters or yards

just hold steady and press the button. accurate to within 1 yard. saves getting your tape tangled up.

jillybean

Postby carlight » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:46 pm

might also , in these situations ,be worth considering ;

........Is acreage measured by a plan view , ie looking from above ,as on ye google maps ,or measured as actual acres .

- The very steep field near me is (for the sake of convenience?)a 1 in 1 ,or 45 degrees ...... on ye aerial photo it measures 10 acres .Yet if i measure it,on the ground ,i find that it's much larger........

Gets even more intersting if one considers whether there's any more room for trees / canopy !

And now to try and actually be helpful - axminster tools supply a measuring wheel for the princely sum of £12 .

carlight

Postby Chris Saunders » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:39 pm

An idea shown to me by Patrick Whitefield the Permaculture guru.

Calibrate your pace. A known accurate 100m distance was set up and we paced to-an-fro and did the sums to give a more accurate pace. Some points to bear in mind:

1. Do the pacing a number of times and average the result

2. Use a comfortable normal stride not Ministry of silly walks.

3. There is a tendency to take shorter strides going up hill. When I first tried this we where on a very slight incline and I was surprised at the difference going up to going down.

4. It is surprisingly easy to lose count, (so boring). It was suggested it was easer to count every second pace and multiply by two.

I know this seems a lot of faff but you only do it once. I have used this to lay out the plan for my wood and checking the odd measurement with a tape, surprisingly accurate.

Incidentally Kentish Man my pace measurement is 0.81m (32”) so I wonder if your 36” is a bit generous.

Chris Saunders

Postby wood troll » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:36 pm

Welcome Chris,

I remember something similar from when I was in the army.

Where abouts are you? Perhaps you could post something on the introductions section.

I'm off now to eat a second slice of pumpkin pie from my OH ;-)

wood troll

wood troll

Previous

Return to All things legal