Small Woodland Owners' Group

buying sssi wood

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby austino » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:45 am

One year ago I bought my wood. I read all the feedback from you all and having visited Coombewell on a "survival training" day got chance to meet other owners. I took the plunge and purchased my wood. My wood has given me and my family immense pleasure and the time we're all together at the woods is very special.

The original thread was wether to buy an SSSI wood and the implications involved. I can now say no one need fear the classification and the word "SPECIAL" in SSSI is the one I focus on. I love to think in some small way I am protecting some rare bryophytes, (albeit I don't know where they are or what i'm looking for!), and that the little work I have done so far is benefitting the wood. A very special point for me was one I really hadn't thought about originally and that is the other folk with there woods around me. I have made some great friends and we all assist each other in different ways making the hard toil fun and for someone with no knowledge in woodland matters their wealth of info invaluable. Our woods I would say is almost becoming a community and as I hear some of you groan this is not negative. I can stay in my woods if I wish and speak to no one but prefer the odd visit from a fellow woodlander and a beer round the campfire. The benefit to the woods in general is we're all singing of the same songsheet so the work we are doing is the common good and not the barbed wire border mentality. This community approach I beleive will become a lot more relevent in years to come and particularly if the goverment ever sell of the forests.

I do appear to have bleeted on a while but in conclusion, quite simply, me and my family reckon it's the best thing I've ever done!

austino

Postby RichardKing » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:46 am

So, you dont know what a Bryophyte looks like or where they are a whole year after buying your SSSI wood ?

And you are legaly responsible for protecting them !

RichardKing

Postby austino » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Bryophytes are a very difficult species to identify different varieties. Some need very close inspection sometimes requiring microscopes. Which are the endangered ones I wouldn't know however primarily they are located in the gils which I generaly try to keep clear of particularly in winter when the streams are running and therefore more sensitive. At the risk of upsetting anyone Bryophytes do not appear the most exciting of species but am pleased they are in the safety of my woods. As for legaly responsible well thats just what I am.....responsible!

austino

Postby Henrietta » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 am

Let's hope none of the rare Bryophytes get destroyed by the falling squirrels as they are blasted out of the trees!

Henrietta

Postby austino » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Henrietta pray tell whos blasting my squirels

austino

Postby tracy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Brilliant news Austino, delighted that you are enjoying your woods. I like your woodland too, I got the chance to walk around last year with some 'experts' and you are right in saying that the species you are protecting are not obvious - and it is the gils/ gills.. ditches! that you are protecting! I hope you get many more happy years there!

Tracy

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Hello

Apart from falling squirells which we can duck from. I would like to have a look at these gills as we have some in the bigger wood near us and I dont know what a Bryophytes is / are.

B and T Sussex

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby greyman » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 am

I had no idea what a bryophyte was was apart from I knew the term - now I do (lots of them are mosses)

http://www.biologyreference.com/Bl-Ce/Bryophytes.html

Greyman

greyman

Postby tracy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:52 am

So Austino and other owners in that woodland, fancy hosting a mini swog walk so we can see these rarities? I am sure we could get a guide to show us around with you!

tracy

Re: buying sssi wood

Postby paulorna » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:10 am

hi austino, how did u get on ?? did u buy it ?? am too in the same position now, so wondered if your plans came to light ?
regards paul
paulorna

PreviousNext

Return to All things legal