Small Woodland Owners' Group

Log Nets

Local group stuff

Log Nets

Postby management1011 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:59 pm

I supply one or two people with logs in nets (netting bags)
They take ages to fill because of snagging. I currently use a medium Jumbo bucket with the bottom cut out, insert it into the nets, fill with logs and lift to drop the logs into the nets. Often the net slips and the logs go everywhere, so start again!
I have seen somewhere (senility and fading memory mean I can't remember where) a sheet of plastic(?) which is coiled up and inserted into a net, filled to the top and then removed leaving the net full.
Anyone know the source or a suitable material?
Thanks and best wishes for 2014
management1011

Re: Log Nets

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:14 pm

Not what you're asking about, but an alternative method of filling: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8y76uWrA
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:25 pm

I do the same and have bagged up about 100 big nets so far this year, yes its a pain. (I've enough wind fallen timber lying around to fill maybe 1000 nets ! ) I always stuff them as full as possible to make them seem good value. Mine are mixed deciduous and I sell them at the garden gate for £4, wonder how that compares?. The nets came from Fleabay and were something like £15 per 100. Hope all these nets don't end up in landfill, thats hardly sustainability.

Its easier to fill them if the logs are slightly shorter, and you have a selection of thicknesses. That way gaps can be filled with 'sticky' sized bits, maybe 1-2" thick, which many people like when starting fires.
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:40 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:The nets came from Fleabay and were something like £15 per 100.

Do you really mean fleabay (http://www.fleabay.net/) or do you mean eBay?
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:49 pm

I use Fleabay as a derogatory term for the better known online marketplace, which I confess I use with frequency. I'd no idea there really was a 'fleabay', but I guess it had to come, even if for no other reason than its a frequently used familiar colloquialism for the 'scammer's paradise'. Don't tell me, there's another site called scammersparadise.com :lol:

BTW, if you buy something on Ebay and it goes kaput, there are no buyers rights, unlike stuff bought from shops or mail order. My trail camera went tripping after a few weeks, with the wrong options showing in the programme selection for each mode, eg Camera or Video mode reads 'Tuesday' or 'Fish'. (Not really, but you get the gist) Surprised to find all I can do is bin it and buy another, no obligation on Ebay sellers to repair or replace- something to bear in mind if thinking of buying electrical or equipment from them. 'Velly glood Chainslaw, gliv velly hligh clutting plower, inclood no glarantlee but please chleck oowler lange of splare legs and larms, slatisflaction glarantreed".
oldclaypaws

Re: rights when buying via eBay

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:33 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:BTW, if you buy something on Ebay and it goes kaput, there are no buyers rights, unlike stuff bought from shops or mail order.

Not strictly true.

If you buy from a private eBay seller, whether or not you're entitled to a refund will depend on the description of the goods. If the seller made any statements about the quality of the item eg described them as being 'new' or 'in excellent condition', then you could argue the goods weren’t as described and the seller is in breach of contract. When you buy privately the requirement under the Sale of Goods Act for goods to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose doesn't apply.

If you bought from a business seller on eBay and the item is faulty, the seller will be in breach of contract. Under the Sale of Goods Act, the item has to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

That said, having rights and being able to easily exercise them can be very different things. Whenever buying anything new online, I'd give consideration to what if anything might go wrong and I'd steer clear of any seller that I think might be difficult in handling a refund or replacement. Having to take someone to court can be a bit of a nusiance :(
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:10 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I use Fleabay as a derogatory term for the better known online marketplace, which I confess I use with frequency. I'd no idea there really was a 'fleabay', but I guess it had to come, even if for no other reason than its a frequently used familiar colloquialism for the 'scammer's paradise'. Don't tell me, there's another site called scammersparadise.com :lol:

BTW, if you buy something on Ebay and it goes kaput, there are no buyers rights, unlike stuff bought from shops or mail order. My trail camera went tripping after a few weeks, with the wrong options showing in the programme selection for each mode, eg Camera or Video mode reads 'Tuesday' or 'Fish'. (Not really, but you get the gist) Surprised to find all I can do is bin it and buy another, no obligation on Ebay sellers to repair or replace- something to bear in mind if thinking of buying electrical or equipment from them. 'Velly glood Chainslaw, gliv velly hligh clutting plower, inclood no glarantlee but please chleck oowler lange of splare legs and larms, slatisflaction glarantreed".

:lol: :lol: :lol: have to laugh at oldclawpaws, he's consistent on his racist remarks to our foreign friends and my imported chainsaw and strimmers, which I'll add are still going strong 11 months down the line, as for getting returns, my window maker cost around £80 divide that so far by the 11 months, and its £7.30 per month, we could go even further, as the chainsaw has been used at least once a week, cutting up quite large oak logs, so, its cost me £1.83 per week so far, if anything broke now, I'd happily feel I'd got my moneys worth, bin it, and buy another from the same seller.
items that break soon after purchase, could be seen as the buyer not doing enough searches on the bay of e, and checking out feedback, that's what it's there for

happy new year all
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:54 am

I think your widow maker, Dexter, (a name of your own invention) will provide numerous future opportunities for general mirth and black humour, and you seem to take it all proudly in your stride with the intended jocularity. When it comes to the Chinese, I am not racist- you have to admire them in many ways and I have huge respect for their ceramics and philosophers pre 14th Century- it all went downhill after they came into contact with the West and took on board our exported ideas of tacky mass production, smoking opium and communism.

On the language though, I think we have the right to get our own back for what they've done to English in their product instruction manuals. Best last year had to be my Einhell brushcutter's section 7, which I guess was meant to have a heading of 'Usage Procedures' or some such title, but it appeared as 'Using the Home Waterworks'. Classic.

I also saw on 'Click' that auto language translation apps have some way to go. When they tried "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak", it came back as "The Vodka is good but the meat is rotten".

Happy new or Year of the Horse wishes (But it doesn't start until 31 January, we're still in 'Snake').
oldclaypaws

Postby Terry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

SimonFisher wrote:
oldclaypaws wrote:The nets came from Fleabay and were something like £15 per 100.

Do you really mean fleabay (http://www.fleabay.net/) or do you mean eBay?

had me there too - had to happen and probably going to be an evil bay soon as well :D
Terry

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:19 pm

maybe I should buy the rights to using "the bay of e"
Dexter's Shed

Return to South East