Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bushcraft Practice

Local group stuff

Postby Andrew Groves » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and don't actually own any woodland myself but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out:

I'm currently looking for an small area of woodland where I can practice Bushcraft skills. I've been studying / practicing Bushcraft for just over a year now and would love to further develop my learning by having access to an area of woodland in which I would have permission to use Bushcraft techniques. These techniques include: Making small fires for cooking / boiling water, shelter making, foraging for wild foods and various forms of carving and woodcraft.

I'm currently based in Hove in Sussex and would ideally like to find somewhere within about 25 miles.

In return for use of the woodland, I would happily help with any maintenance work, clearing up litter and generally taking care of the area.

If anyone has a suitable plot or can offer any advice or has any further questions it would really great to hear from you.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post,

Best wishes,

Andrew

Hove

Andrew Groves

Postby tracy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Andrew, great to see you here and I hope someone will be able to help. Would you be interested in running a bushcraft day sometime for a group of us? Do it free of charge and meet owners who might then let you in their woods ;-)

tracy

Postby Keith Williams » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 am

I'd be happy to chip in with some basic tracking /stalking / camouflage stuff as well as the firelighting/shelter skills. I'd welcome the chance to show off my wildlife photography too. I'm Essex based, so the nearer the dartford crossing the better for me!

Keith Williams

Postby Andrew Groves » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:03 am

Hello Tracy and Keith,

Thanks for your replies. A Bushcraft day certainly sounds good; I don't feel that I'm competent enough at this stage to run the day myself, hence the need for somewhere to practice! But a day where a group of us could get together and try out various techniques could be really interesting. Do you have any suggestions as to where we could run a day like this?

Andrew Groves

Postby Keith Williams » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 am

I'm off this weekend as a helper on a three day course, I think there are still places available, see - http://www.natural-pathways.co.uk/discovery-basic-survival.php I'm also a qualified FE (further education) teacher so can set up some basic instruction for SWOG people.

Anyone got suitable woods Sussex or Kent?

Keith Williams

Postby Steve Medlock » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:02 am

Andrew,

Just a thought, but the wood next to mine is owned by the Olgar Trust :

http://www.olgartrust.org/venus-wood.htm

If you joined them you would have use of the wood.

Otherwise, do you do archery at all?

Steve

Steve Medlock

Postby Andrew Groves » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:23 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, sounds very interesting, I'll definitely get in touch with the Olgar Trust to see if they can help out.

As for archery, I've had a go, but it's not something I've dedicated much time to. It's something I'd like to try again one day though...

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew Groves

Return to South East