Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hornets

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Re: shooting corvids

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:so my shooting of corvids because of my observations is by your own words, perfectly ok

I'm still interested in why you're shooting corvids. What is your observation?
SimonFisher

Re: Hornets

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Patandsam wrote:We love our squirrels, they are very special to us and we feed them every day so they have become very tame. Anyway, aren't they protected?

Killing things for the sake of it is truly disgusting, everything has a right to exist. Except mink maybe, and those other serial killers, mankind.

no, as a non native to britain, they are on the pest species list and can be controlled all year round
and whats worst than a bunny hugger, is someone who likes to use the truly disgusting quote to make others look bad, but then have exceptions for other animals, double standards me thinks, as mink on non native too and can be controlled all year round, you in your own little world have decided whats ok to die and whats not, I actually know someone in the usa that has tame mink,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm

SimonFisher wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote:so my shooting of corvids because of my observations is by your own words, perfectly ok

I'm still interested in why you're shooting corvids. What is your observation?

apart from showing us that you have far better computer skills than I, which must make you more superior, I'm not going to start up a pro's and con's debate of pest control, the world is made up of lots of people with different opinions, mine is not the same as yours,live with it
I paid more for my woodland as it came with full shooting rights, and therefore, I am allowed by law to carry out whatever pest control I feel is needed, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as I don't push my beliefs on others, I choose not to associate with those that try pushing theirs onto me.
Dexter's Shed

Postby Compo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 pm

I have no problem with shooting - if it's justified. I have killed animals for food, quickly and cleanly and fully understand the need for selective pest control if the situation and circumstamces demand it. We will not tolerate Mink on our land because they are an introduced species which can cause serious and long term damage to the environment. Of course the same argument can be made for the Grey Squirrel but they are unlikely to be affected in any meaningful way by the occasional shooting. Killing for fun is unacceptable at any level in my view and I am no bunny hugger. Killing for a reason is simply a part of life.
Compo

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Dexter's Shed, when I read your comment about setting up a decoy for crows (or whatever it was) I was curious as to your reasoning for wanting to shoot crows. It hadn't occurred to me that in a woodland environment crows be considered pest. I can see, but not necessarily agree with, the argument for controlling a 'pest' that consumes or damages the resource you're trying to produce or that spreads a disease. It hadn't occurred to me that you'd want to kill crows just because they take other young birds or eggs to feed their young - which I assume is your justification?
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 pm

I believe their is general hatred of crows in the rural community not because of their scavenging wildlife, but they can be very aggressive and are often guilty of pecking the eyes out of new born lambs. While I hate killing at any level, if I was a farmer who had his lambs blinded by crows, I'd shoot the blighters too.

Some squirrels are protected- namely reds. If you have reds, Pat, you are fortunate and they are indeed to be cherished, as they probably won't be around much longer, the march of the greys, which carry a virus that kills the reds, seems unstoppable.

We live in an age when our killing of animals is industrialised, we don't see the gory bits , and then they are chopped up and put in pretty little packets in Waitrose. In the 'good old days', no part of the animal was wasted, trotters, heads, lungs, the lot, and virtually anything that hopped, ran or flew was fair game. I remember being given wood pigeon as a kiddy, which was delicious- you never see it now. Back in pre Victorian days, not unlike China, the lot got eaten. Remember 4 and 20 Blackbirds baked in a pie?
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:24 am

oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Think yourselves lucky we don't have these.

article-2442384-188032D800000578-593_636x379.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:33 pm

this is the only hornet I care to have in my life

and then after I let the mrs play with it

Dexter's Shed

Postby greyman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Nice wheels Dexter I'm a viffer 750 owner mysef but it's a bit bent since a nice spanish white van man had me off in Santandar in July. All this is off piste a bit so better get back to the point in hand: we have hornets in our wood and have no trouble with them. We also have deer and squiggels too which are making merry with the new shoots on the coppice and what seems as every harvest of hazel nuts!.
Greyman :(
greyman

PreviousNext

Return to Wildlife