Small Woodland Owners' Group

Squirrel control - take care

All discussion on birds, bugs and animals

Postby happybonzo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:14 am

Just a note on air rifles: My local Gunsmith is now making his own Pre Charge Pneumatic air rifles.

These are available as either the usual 12ft/lbs type or, if you are fortunate enough to have an FAC, at up to 35ft/lbs. They are available in .177, .22 and .25 although I wouldn't bother with .25 unless the weapon is set at FAC power levels

Anyone who has gone to buy a PCP air rifle will know that they are usually stupid money ie £400 plus when you can get a perfectly serviceable .22 rimfire for £20!

The guns from our local chap start at £200. I have no connection with Mallard Barns; just a very happy and not quite so impoverished customer

http://www.mallardbarn.co.uk/shop.asp

happybonzo

Postby treebloke » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 pm

I find it hard to believe anyone would even contemplate spending the time and money taking this man to court over such a trivial matter. Shame on the RSPCA.

I do not condone cruelty and have rescued many small animals and birds from trees over my 35 years as an arborist and given my time free of charge but I simply do not see this a cruel. I cannot see how the guy could reasonably take the squirrel from any trap while still alive to hit it over the head, they do not come quietly.

On the grand scale of things taking into account what you see in the news and read in the papers each day drowning vermin is way down the bottom of the list for me. This country has certainly lost the plot.

treebloke

Postby Exeldama » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:30 pm

I would have thought the reason the RSPCA took him to court was obvious... he clearly isnt a stupid man and must have known the animal would suffer when drowned. If he had done it to a litter of cute kittens i doubt anyone would find that acceptable. If he didnt know how to dispatch it humanely he shouldnt have caught in the first place.

Imagine raising some sheep for food ..wouldnt you just maybe think about how you would dispatch it before you got them. If you said you hadnt any means other than to bash it on the head with a sledgehammer half a dozen times..would that be ok. ?

For a prosecution of any sort to take place wether the CPS or a public body.. two tests have to be met... 1 that there is sufficient evidence to support a likelihood of conviction and 2nd that it is in the public interest. Clearly the first was satisfied (the court acknowledged this by the continuance of the case). The second is objective however if someone knowingly breaks the law as in this case and the RSPCA are there to enforce the law on animal welfare then what would you expect. Should they have left it, turned a blind eye and thus effectively give notice that it is ok to knowingly inflict unecessary suffering on animals.... no it isnt the worse crime in the world, however the law isnt there for us to pick and choose which bits we want to stick to. To have done nothing would have sent a clear precedence for future matters..ie going back to the drowning kittens.

Exeldama

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 pm

I wonder if drowning is a better way. I sometimes have shoot them 4 times for them to die, I think drowning would be a lot quicker.

Darren

Postby Exeldama » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:10 pm

There has been a fair bit of research on the effects of drowning and it isnt like the movies. Normaally you(animal) dry drowns..ie their trache constricts and the person/animla effectively suffocates, which is apparently very painful let alone the fear that it must induce.

Someone on here said rightly earlier that you must get the right equippment, know where to shoot and figure out the conditions..ie shooting at distant/in a trap (ability, wind direction,ballistics,safe zones etc...)..the only excusable exception is as an act of mercy when its better to do your best rather than just leave something to suffer.

Theres a fair few people out there who shouldnt be killing anything ..as they are ill equipped, inexperienced and too often lacking in basic knowledge... in those circumstances you just shouldnt be putting yourself in the position of having to dispatch anything yourself. Leave it to people who know how to do it safely,and humanely... i remember once coming across a beautiful red deer stag that local hunters had put 3 holes into without killing it before it ran off.... i got out a local ranger who dispatched it perfectly from distance. clean humane etc... although he himself hunted deer he was absolutely ballistic at the idiots who had shot it and remarked that he often came across hobbyist hunters who had the money to buy the guns and all the clothing yet knew nothing about shooting... its scarey to think they are out there with guns....... if you dont know how to kill something humanely , dont..get advice or dont catch it in the first place... drowning ....what an idiot.

Exeldama

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Exeldama, how many squirrels have you dispatched with a air rifle?

Darren

Postby treebloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 pm

I believe a caution may have been a better result unless of course there are circumstances we do not know about, way off the mark in my opinion

Sheep = food

Kittens = pets

Squirrels = vermin

Sledgehammers!, where is the connection.

With regard to the CPS, I have a folder in my office which contains details of the breakins and crime reference numbers I have collected over the years and I have been let down by the CPS on many occaisions. It's not just squirrels that need................I will stop there.

Just one small point, Exeldama, you appear to be fairly well experience and connected, could you tell us what method the RSPCA would recommend to despatch a grey squirrel caught in a live cage trap. I have looked on their web site and cannot find any reference.

treebloke

Postby Exeldama » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Treebloke you have obviously been looking for a solution which is good, but i dont believe the RSPCA actually recommend any method for amateurs killing anything.. i think the general position is utilise someone who has the skills and equippment already..ie pest control, deer stalker etc etc.

Personally spring traps, if set properly and safely, with the target species in mind are approved methods in law...and for a reason... because dealing with a live trap is an issue..

The higher powered air rifles require a licence and are up to the job, likewise a limited number of pistols but still its no good shooting it blindly in the front of the head. I have seen a comb which sldes into the top of a live cage and thus restricts the squirrels movements to a smaller area allowing for a cleaner shot.. i doubt it would take much to make a simple version.

kittens pets..Hmmm to a lot of people cats/kittens are a pest to (vermin) and many country folk used to drown them to...now we are smarter and have better options so few do.

Yes i do have a lot of experience, and being a firearms trainer amongst other things i have more options available... but at the end of the day..you cant get passed the basic thought that if you want to kill something , make sure you know how and what to use before you catch it.

Currently i use a shotgun, i use it from the right range and only shoot when i am 100% sure of a kill.... as to Darrens question on live traps... if i can remove a squirrel by hand from a cage , getting a safe and clean shot with an air gun of sufficient power and accuracy is not an issue.

Exeldama

Postby happybonzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:16 am

Just to point out that Air Pistols are limited to 6ft/lbs and Air Rifles to 12ft/lbs.

You may be allowed to possess an Air Rifle at above 12ft/lbs but you will have to show "good cause" and apply for an FAC.

I very much doubt that you would be granted an FAC for an Air Pistol running at anything above 6ft/lbs but I will check for you later today.

You may, under certain circumstances, be allowed a cartridge pistol for humane dispatch.

happybonzo

Postby happybonzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:20 am

Just to add this is from an RFD forum

If an air pistol is over 6ft/lbs then it is classed as a firearm requiring a certificate; however we mere mortals are not allowed to own handguns. An air pistol over 6ft/lbs would be illegal.

-------

In my opinion to use an air pistol for animal dispatch would a foolish thing to do and most likely to inflict undue suffering.

happybonzo

PreviousNext

Return to Wildlife