Small Woodland Owners' Group

Laurel - any use at all?

Trees and Plants!

Postby happybonzo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:22 am

I have large amounts of Laurel, nearly 1 acre of the muck. Is it of any use to man or beast? Some of it has limbs that are thicker than my thigh

Is it any use for Charcoal or should I just burn it as rubbish? I cannot think that is much use as timber as most of the branches have more bends than a fiddler's elbow

happybonzo

Postby rogerspianocat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 am

I'm guessing you're talking cherry laurel, rather than true laurel? If so, you can get FC grant to get it out - I'm going to one day, as I've got loads too. It was often put in woods as shelter for pheasants, also birds can bring it in from gardens, where it's used for hedging. I understand that you can't burn it because of the cyanide in parts of the tree. If you cut limbs and lay them on the ground, they'll root. It's a totally evil invasive weed. I'm going to try some carving and turning with some, as I have so much of it, but it seems quite hard.

If on the other hand, you have true (bay) laurel, use the leaves to flavour your squirrel stew.

rogerspianocat

Postby jillybean » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:51 pm

I sold some of the smaller laurel in my wood to a man who wanted a hedge. could you dig any of it up ?

jillybean

Postby happybonzo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:23 am

There is so much of it that I would hesitate to waste the fuel for the swing shovel.

I've never seen any animals, with the exception of the two Muntjac, under or near it. The ground underneath is deader than a dead thing.

I didn't know about the wretched stuff giving off cynanide when burnt; perhaps I'll wait to burn until the Tourists are about.

I've also thought about using Ecoplugs - http://www.ecoplug.com/ - I thought that Mrs Bonzo could go out with the Black & Decker and a pocket full of the things. I know that it's a very long term solution but it might work.

happybonzo

Postby rogerspianocat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 am

Who's selling ecoplugs in the UK? and how much are they - they look nice and easy!

rogerspianocat

Postby Pedrx » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:58 am

Like it, Bonzo - burn when the tourists are about... So this Cherry Laurel is to be avoided. Was intending to buy Laurel from the car boot for a hedge. Is it possible to distinguish between it and the so called 'true laurel'?

What about these ecoplugs? New to horticulture let alone arboriculture -though I grew some marigolds 55 years ago - have had great success with glyphosate which can be injected neat into the trunk or painted on the sawn trunk. There are no fish for miles but are you going to tell me this stuff gets into the water course and what's in the plugs anyway?

I use everything for fuel, even some of the shredded remnants, but expect the novelty would soon wear off with an acre of this evil sounding stuff.

Pedrx

Postby happybonzo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:22 pm

BTS sell Ecoplugs - http://www.btsgroupuk.com/index.php They have been using the things for some time now and seem very pleased with the results.

I think that the plugs were £50 for 100 plugs IIRC

The plug contains Glyphosphate. I used to "paint" the cut trunk with Roundup to which I had added red food dye; that way I knew which stumps had been treated. The problem is that it can wash off.

The Ecoplug has a hole drilled first and then the plug is hammered in and makes it totally water resistant.

BTS say that it is worth while buying the speciall drill bit from the plug as it goes to just the right depth

As to using everything for fuel after reading that the beastly stuff gives off cyanide I'm reluctant to burn it so I'm not sure how one disposes of it.

happybonzo

Postby Pedrx » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 pm

•" The active substance inside Ecoplug is glyphosate. It is well encapsulated until the plug is driven into the tree or stump. Once inside it will burst and the substance is released."

Why not shove the glyphosate straight in the hole? You could accidentally drink some but you might also accidentally swallow a pellet.

Don't ever sharpen the special drill by the way. It''ll be too short.

Pedrx

Postby happybonzo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:25 am

Why not shove Roundup straight in the hole? Because Ecoplugs are dead easy to use is the answer I suppose.

I used to "paint" the cut trunk with Roundup to which I had added red food dye; that way I knew which stumps had been treated. The problem is that it can wash off.

I've also drilled holes in the past and got the Roundup into the hole and then plugged it with a bit of scrap timber but it's fiddley to do

Mrs Bonzo wants something to do in the woods so it would be ideal for her

happybonzo

Postby happybonzo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 am

on burning Laurel - from the Arbtalk forum

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/24703-shrubs.html

we have lots of laurel on site - and it is a great log for burning

it dries quickly and burns hot - also makes excellent charcoal

it will spoil if left outside for too long though

as for laurel giving off cyanide - it does - but we burn loads on the bonfires - and have had no ill effects - but then i don't tend to breathe in the smoke

Just have to make sure I stand up wind of it when it's in the Kiln

happybonzo

Next

Return to Trees and Plants