Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sweet Chestnut

Trees and Plants!

Postby Skund » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi, we're planning a new woodland and we'd like to plant sweet chestnut. However, a bloke from the FC advised that, due to rampant disease, sweet chestnut is a no-goer. Anyone got any advice or information relating to this?

Thanks!

Skund

Postby woodbodger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:13 am

Don't know where you are but someone planted sweet chestnuts in our wood probably 15 or more years ago here in Wales and they just are not thriving.

woodbodger

Postby Stephen1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 am

Hi Sam

Me again.

I'd love to know the name of the FC person who was talking about rampant disease in Sweet chestnut? They are susceptible to some phytophthoras; the main one being ink disease on poorly drained soils - this being a phytophthora that has been in the uk for centuries. The new phytophthoras that are now such a problem in the uk don't affect Sweet chestnut very badly - affecting the leaves only and not killing the tree.

I wonder if his reluctance has more to do with S.C. not being native? There are several different planting options under the Glastir scheme in Wales and I wonder if he's trying to steer you to the native one - each FC office has targets for each category.

I always include Sweet Chestnut in any planting below 200ms altitude. Where I am in North Wales it does exceptionally well. So vigorous that it usually is able to heal grey squirrel damage. It produces large diameter stems faster than any other broadleaved species, supresses bramble and nettle (which when planting on pasture that has been fertilized in the past can be a real problem) and many other advantages. There are those who will quote low figures for species that use it's leaves -but that's only half the picture. In young woodland you need some big trees fast that you can create rot in heartwood -but that's another story, let me know if you're interested and I'll expand on it for you.

If you have a suitable site and gentle slope not too high up on good soil (by definition an ex-field will have good soil) then I would include Sweet chestnut as about 10% of the initial planting.

I appreciate woodbodger has experience to the contrary but there are many reasons why trees don't thrive - it can take a decade or more for trees planted as bare root transplants where the roots dried out before planting to recover for example.

Make sure you look at all the options under the Glastir planting scheme it might be that the "native woodland - biodiversity 1600 trees/hectare" option isn't the best for you and your site - even if it is the one your local FC office wants to increase its figures for. Given your wish to include fruit trees you might find you're better with the "Enhanced mixed woodland option".

Stephen1

Postby Skund » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Yes, I was rather shocked to be told that the FC bloke said that planting sweet chestnut was a no-goer because of the disease. I had a quick Google and found nothing indicating the same. Interesting to hear about the possibility of the bloke steering us towards natives... I wasn't on site for the 'consultation' so I'll have to ask my dad what he thinks. I wasn't even aware of the different types of grant options but, again, I wasn't about at the time.

As I mentioned in my other thread, our neighbour has sweet chestnut that is doing well. Apparently he planted them on very wet soil 150-200m above sea level. Ours would be on steeper ground, slightly higher (180-250m), East facing, pretty well drained soil for the most part, and ex-horse pasture.

Thanks to you both once again!

Skund

Return to Trees and Plants