Small Woodland Owners' Group

FUNGI ID QUESTION - ADRIAN

Trees and Plants!

Postby BryanBullen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am

Just returned from holiday to find your fungi pics Adrian. Have some ideas, but would like to see the original photofiles (high res?) if you can send them to me.

Bryan Bullen

[email protected]

BryanBullen

Postby BryanBullen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Hallo Adrian

Thanks for the pics. Without having the suspects in front of me to smell/taste/examine with a lens etc I can't be definitive, as I'm sure you'll understand, but I'm fairly sure you're correct with the Brown Birch Bolete (generalised name for several closely related Leccinums) and probably for the Cep (Boletus edulis), although with the latter I'd need to see a sharper close-up of the "network" on the stipe. The "Suillus bovinus" is more problematic, but on the evidence of the photo I'd say it was more likely to be something like a Bay Bolete (Boletus badius) with its stouter, well marked stem (I would need to see the pore colour and know if there were any colour changes to confirm this). As far as your Cep harvesting question is concerned, I'd be a millionaire by now if I could answer that in the affirmative! The best you can do is throw your collected specimens around in your wood instead of gorging on them, and hope that the spores germinate!Will try to get another opinion on the others for you.

Regards

Bryan

BryanBullen

Return to Trees and Plants