Small Woodland Owners' Group

Transplanting Saplings

Trees and Plants!

Postby WoodyAlan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:57 am

Hi all, I have a number of small deciduous saplings which I would like to transplant within the next month or two. I'm led to understand that this is best done during the winter season. Am I likely to encounter any real difficulties by doing this in the spring? Are there any tips that anyone has for doing this at this time of year or should I wait until next autumn/winter?

WoodyAlan

Postby Hobby » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Its best to transplant them before they are in full leaf, if you retain soil around the roots then they should be OK, try to avoid severing the tap root.

I've moved young hornbeam in April midway through the foliage opening, even chestnut in July

and they have settled fine.

You may get some withered leaves though depending on how much root is retained.

The growth will be subdued for the first season and you must keep them watered for the first few months.

Hobby

Postby Fuzzy-Felt Bloke » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:17 pm

The most important things are:

Keep as much as the fibrous roots as possible (these are the hair like roots).

Plant your hole (or as much as you can ) before digging up your trees, this will prevent the roots drying out.

Dig out the hole to accommodate the main roots, do not bend into a round hole.

Ensure that the tree is planted to the original depth (soil mark or root collar)

Keep roots moist at all times (large bin liners as wrappings works well)

Stake only one third up from the ground and only for 1 or 2 growing seasons, if needed.

Water in well and keep watered, depending on rain fall.

Wildlife & Environmental Training Company

www.wetc.co

Helping Nature While Helping Yourself

Fuzzy-Felt Bloke

Postby WoodyAlan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank you guys. Your advice is gratefully accepted.

WoodyAlan

Postby Meadowcopse » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Just uplifted and transplanted the larger of my saplings mainly bare rooted from loose soil beds, both from my own and nursery stock before the leaves appeared.

I've been using 'Root Grow' mycorrhizal granules for larger specimens - last year with some rather good results much later in the year than I normally would (additional watering during dry spells).

Meadowcopse

Return to Trees and Plants