Small Woodland Owners' Group

Creating diversity

Trees and Plants!

Postby tracy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:41 pm

As we coppice along the ride this year, we are trying to create some diversity in the woodland. We are leaving larger birch as standards, clearing areas around new oak, trying to leave honeysuckle and dead standing timber and freeing up the holly..

One thing we could do with advice on, is singling the chestnut. We really would like some larger chestnut standards, and although we could leave the stools to self single, this could take decades, so following advice, we are going to help some along a little! Some of the best possible standards though, are on stools that are fairly high - about a foot or 2 off the ground - do you think these are likely to be weaker? Is it better to try to single chestnut that is coming off a stool that is lower?

Any thoughts?

Tracy

tracy

Postby The Sawyer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi Tracy, My old foreman always told us to single on the windward side of the stool as this gives most strength as for the height some of the stools at Stansted park estate where 2-3ft high. As with anything in forestry it in the lap of the gods as to weather it blows or not if you get a wind from the wrong direction they may go over.

hope this helps

ttfn and merry Christmas

kester

The Sawyer

Postby RichardKing » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:14 am

At Wilderness Wood they were selecting stems that had a direct connection with a root, rather than one perched on top of some (decaying) stool.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks guys! I guess the ideal is in a protected area and a lower stool perhaps....

tracy

Postby tracy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:05 am

We are also looking at planting some food type trees in our clearing, where the chestnut is dying out - any thoughts?

Hawthorn, buckthorn? Hazel...? If you are replacing some of your chesnut, what are you planting?

Tracy

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:26 am

How large is the clearing? What is its aspect, does it get full sun? remember that the trees/bushes you name are relatively small and will require good light to give a decent crop, altough they may thrive without fruiting if shaded.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:18 pm

It is about half an acre - and gets good light. Apparently with the soil and area ash will do well- as will the other shrubby types. Might also wait and see what is in the seed bank.

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Sounds great, but I would not bother growing Hazel for nuts unless you have the squirels under total controll and continue to do so. Alternatively grow them in cages.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:16 pm

Grow squirrels in cages! that's a new one!

I know what you mean, we do have hazel in my father in laws wood. We will keep looking into it all...

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:25 am

If you are interested in agroforestry you could read my article in the Autumn 2004 edition of Smallwoods, or look at Agroforestry Reasearch Trust www.agroforestry.co.uk

But if you are on an ancient woodland site you should be looking to plant native trees from seeds of local provenance.

RichardKing

Next

Return to Trees and Plants