Small Woodland Owners' Group

losing an old favorite

Trees and Plants!

losing an old favorite

Postby splodger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 am

it looks like we are going to lose one of our favorite old trees - and we will be really sad to see it go (or blow) :roll:

it was in poor shape when dad first got the wood - the bottom rotted out and half of it had blown over from a split in the trunk

recently the trunk has split even more and we fear it is going to blow at anytime - which will create a bit of a mess :?

last two pics show tree in background - to give sense of scale

it's a biggun for a holm oak - got to be 80 or 90 ft high if not more - we have put a cable on one of the heavier stems, to try and hold it back - but unless we can reduce the weight of it - i think it will just split even more at the base and go - but the wood is so hard to cut through, we could be up there all winter pruning it :roll:

it's a lovely old lump - i'd be sad to lose it :cry:
splodger

Re: losing an old favorite

Postby Alex » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:37 am

Looks like a lot of work involved there, I hope you got a good log burning fire!
Alex

Re: losing an old favorite

Postby splodger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:42 pm

we have every intention of pruning it back as much as we can - to lessen the weight on the lean - but this is a seriously big lump

it's too damn hard to cut by hand - so we will have to rig up a bosun chair type thing - so that it's possible to get a fair sized chainsaw to it

if the wind doesn't get it first - we want to try everything we can to save it - the bees will be upset though - as there is a fair sized colony up there - hopefully we won't have to disturb them too much
splodger

Return to Trees and Plants