PAWS restoration

Trees and Plants!

PAWS restoration

Postby joe public » Fri May 31, 2013 6:13 am

How would you go about doing a PAWS restoration on a mature pine / larch site

20 to 80 % thinning, thats alot of difference right there
Pockets of trees 30m by 30m
Introduce rides or glades. Or widen exsisting ones

The more I read about this the more confused I get.

Also if you were doing some sort of restoration what trees / bushes would you pick and why

Cheers
joe public

Re: PAWS restoration

Postby Bearwood » Fri May 31, 2013 9:40 am

Any idea what the seed bank would be like in the soil? I think the Woodland Trust are championing the natural regeneration of PAWS sites which have reached maturity and are ready for clear felling or cropping; there was a small section on R4 Farming Today programme yesterday which maybe worth a listen.

A couple of woodland owners near to myself are felling the majority of the interior of the spruce or pine plantations or widening existing rides to create huge glades in the case of the former and large ecotones in the latter. Essentially, if the seed bank is healthy enough, replanting would not be an issue unless you would be in a hurry as natural regeneration would probably do what you need it to.
Last edited by Bearwood on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearwood

Postby joe public » Fri May 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks for the reply

I dont know about the seed bank the whole wood hasnt had any old trees on it for more than 60 years
There are only oaks, beech, sycamore and ash around the plantation

There are already some glades but only sycamore seedlings are there

Whole wood is subject to a TPO so would felling with no replanting be allowed?

Also if its a clear fell wont the brambles go nuts ?

Cheers
joe public

Postby The Barrowers » Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Hello

You may want to discuss with your local FC person. Mine in the past have been really helpful

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Bearwood » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:30 am

The seed bank can lie locked away in the soil for decades, but as you've highlighted, other species can become predominant in the intervening years since the original woodland was felled and replanted. Brambles can be part of the existing seed bank, and can get out of control, but they play a vital part in the regeneration of any woodland.

Sadly, if the whole wood is under a a Tree Preservation Order there's not much you can do regards felling. Seems odd that there's a preservation order on a conifer plantation though, unless its in a SSSI or AONB.

I suggest you take a look at Chris Starr's book on woodland management if you don't already have it;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1861267 ... -1&pi=SL75
This should help you to understand management of the site.
Bearwood

Postby joe public » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:23 pm

re TPO on the whole wood. No its not SSSI or AONB, local council have placed the TPO on whole wood. They say they will allow anything approved by FC, TPO means they have to be consulted by FC.

Cheers
joe public

Postby Bearwood » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Ah, I see. This is only the second time I've heard of this arrangement between a council and the FC....The wood isn't in Derbyshire by any chance?

Sounds like the council know something about the land that they're not letting on. If you have a couple of hundred quid spare, try doing an Envirocheck to ascertain previous land use prior to the conifers (and the broadleaf before that).

Hypothetically, a good solid woodland management plan presented to the FC would probably allow a little room to manoeuvre when it comes to regenerating the plantation. What the FC essentially want to see is that the goals are mutually agreeable, and the manner in which you achieve those goals are in accordance with the broader area strategy.
Bearwood

Postby splodger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:59 pm

tpo's can be implemented for a number of reasons - some are long term, but many are temp arrangements
consult council and local f/c to get more info
splodger

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Hello I believe the council need to keep TPOs up dated and give a reason for continuing the order
B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby joe public » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:34 am

The reason the council gave me on the phone was 'to make sure theres always going to be a wood there'. It is in the only touristy part of the area. The wood edge is visible by everybody that drives into town from the west.

I hope the TPO will not cause me any problems. . I need the FC approval then the council will be ok.

I want to do some coppicing for firewood in the hardwood areas leaving the wood edge and some standards (oak and ash)
Possibly improve some of the pine areas by either felling, thinning or doing a 30m area square replacing with Oak, Hornbeam, cherry, rowan and birch.
Remove some pines along the rides and remove them from around native species that are in the pine plantation.
Plant some Hawthorn, hazel, elder, bramble and wild rose in gaps on the edge of the wood.

I need to speak to the FC regarding wether this is resonable
joe public

Next

Return to Trees and Plants