Small Woodland Owners' Group

PAWS restoration

Trees and Plants!

Re: PAWS restoration

Postby Bearwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm

I think you're bang-on with your ideas there Joe. That's pretty much our woodland management plan in a summary, except we had a fair amount of fencing to do as well as adding new access etc.

Go for it!
Bearwood

Postby joe public » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Just when i think im starting to know what I would like to do I discover this in the larch/pine

joe public

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:55 pm

You are very lucky B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Bearwood » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah. Nice photo!
Can I hear the sound of owl boxes under construction?
Bearwood

Postby docsquid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 pm

If you have a woodland management plan with the Forestry Commission, with a felling licence as part of the management agreed with them, then that supersedes any TPO, and you can go ahead and fell provided that it is part of the management plan agreed with the FC. We have felled, coppiced and thinned on our woods and it has just won an award (see above) despite having a site-wide TPO.

What you can't do is prune trees or do tree safety work without a TPO works application (like planning permission but free) so we do this before we do any pruning or tree surgery (we have a lot of roadside trees). You can fell, but not prune.

However we now have good relations with the local council, after a few years, and they usually just tell us to get on with it if we informally notify them.

The key is to get a FC management plan and then you can do what you need to do. They will allow natural regeneration as well as replanting, provided you give a good case for it.
docsquid

Postby joe public » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I think i will just now leave that whole larch section inplace. Change my plan and fell some other section of larch instead. Then wait and see if the adults turn up and use the same tree and nest next year

Cheers

Bearwood wrote:Yeah. Nice photo!
Can I hear the sound of owl boxes under construction?
joe public

Postby joe public » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Can i put the pruning in the FC plan ?

Cheers

docsquid wrote:If you have a woodland management plan with the Forestry Commission, with a felling licence as part of the management agreed with them, then that supersedes any TPO, and you can go ahead and fell provided that it is part of the management plan agreed with the FC. We have felled, coppiced and thinned on our woods and it has just won an award (see above) despite having a site-wide TPO.

What you can't do is prune trees or do tree safety work without a TPO works application (like planning permission but free) so we do this before we do any pruning or tree surgery (we have a lot of roadside trees). You can fell, but not prune.

However we now have good relations with the local council, after a few years, and they usually just tell us to get on with it if we informally notify them.

The key is to get a FC management plan and then you can do what you need to do. They will allow natural regeneration as well as replanting, provided you give a good case for it.
joe public

Postby Sparrowhatchforestry » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:36 am

The pruning works will not be covered by a management plan felling liscence. However the TPO application process if fairly simple to undertake. Also pruning outside of a tpo is allowed if it is to remove dangerous branches/ sections of the tree.

By the sounds of it you have a few good ides but it would be worth talking to the local FC officer or a few local woodland contractors/ consultants- most will visit and give their advice for free or a very small charge.
www.Sparrowhatchforestry.co.uk
[email protected]
Sparrowhatchforestry

Previous

Return to Trees and Plants