Small Woodland Owners' Group

Rowan Tree

Trees and Plants!

Rowan Tree

Postby Cassie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:43 am

Hi, some advice please I am trying to grow a Rowan tree from a small seedling I picked up on a walk by my local reservoir, it was growing out of the top of a fence post, didn't look like it had much of a future so I brought it home as I wanted to put it in my woodland, there are several seedlings in precarious places by the reservoir. It's healthy and has bolted, still only about 2 feet high but it's leggy and needs support or will fall over, is there anything I can do to encourage this little plant to grow into a strong healthy tree? I'm keeping it as a single stem as I don't want it to turn into a bush.
Cassie

Re: Rowan Tree

Postby trs » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Cassie

Not sure what other people do but I've grown a few Rowans from seed and pretty much leave them to do their own thing with minimal interference. I tend to keep them in the garden in a shady/semi shady spot (i.e. out of direct sunlight and strong winds) and only water them if it's been a while since the last rainfall (talking a week or so). There seems to be different schools of thought on stake size, height, position etc but when they get a bit leggy, I loosely tie them to a small stake about a third of the way up the tree. This provides stability but gives the tree the chance to move a little, which helps to strengthen the trunk. My stakes are generally sized to a third of the height of the tree and angled across the trunk. As I said there are probably many ways to look at this, but this works for me :D.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll dig out a pic when I get home and post it to show one of mine (third generation from seed and about 3 years old).

Tony

EDIT:
The wonders of modern technology :).

Pic1.jpg

One on the left no longer needs the stake and is approx. 8 foot high. One on the right is still a bit leggy but is thickening up nicely at the base. Stake detail as explained above and shown below.

Pic2.jpg

and finally ... the Nursery :D

Pic3.jpg
Pic3.jpg (126.6 KiB) Viewed 10043 times

Hope this helps :)
trs

Postby Cassie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Thank you Tony that was very helpful and the pictures were also a great help, I will loosen the ties and continue to support it but other than that leave it alone :)
Cassie

Postby trs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:17 am

You are welcome.

Good luck with it :)

Tony
trs

Return to Trees and Plants