Postby joe public » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am

Hi

Is this a Wych Elm

Cheers

joe public

Re: Wych Elm ?

Postby Treeation » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:16 am

Hi Joe,

Yes this is a wych elm (Ulmus glabra) produces attractive pink flowers in spring. It isn't that uncommon to find large wych elms in woodland environments where they have escaped dutch elms disease. I have heard some opinions that suggest that the disease vector, beetle (Scolytus multistriatus), only flies at certain altitudes so some trees on higher terrain are able to reach a good size.

Hope this helps

Pat
Treeation - Tree Surgery & Woodland Management
www.treeation.co.uk
Treeation

Postby joe public » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:09 am

Hi Pat

Thankyou for the help. I have had a look and the site it is 65m above sea level.

I had a professional on site who suggested planting another elm may attract beetles to the site.

Id like to planted an english elm if its not going to endanger the first, as i havent seen anyother elms in the wood yet

Cheers
joe public

Postby Treeation » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:05 am

Hi Joe,

I used to manage a fantastic little cherry/english elm woodland. The English elm were beautiful with fantastic long, bolt upright straight trunks. They have a much straighter form than the slightly irregular growth of Wych Elms. I haven;t been to the site for a couple of years but last time I went everything seemed in good health.

Wych and English Elm naturally reproduces from suckering and can be regenerated through pollarding and coppicing somewhat. Have a careful hunt for more elm around in your woods because its fairly likely you will find some close by growing off the same rootstock. Another point to consider is that Dutch Elm Disease only starts to kill trees when they reach about 15 years old. Thats why you tend to see dead hedgerow elms of a certain size. Bearing this in mind there may be some form of resistance by coppicing before they reach this age and manage on a 10year rotation.

Unless the planted tree was infected or had beetles on it being imported into a woodland from an infected site (which is unlikely seeing as beetles couldn't survive on small trees without bark) I personally wouldn't see planting a couple more being a problem (in my opinion). Although, you may want to consider focusing your efforts on planting another type of tree completely as dealing with any elm is a risky business.

All the best

Pat
Treeation - Tree Surgery & Woodland Management
www.treeation.co.uk
Treeation

Postby Rankinswood » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 am

Hi Joe,

I note that Chilterns has posted on the OWG forum re Wytch Elm coppice with an excellent photograph of emerging Wytch Elm leaves that you can compare with your own.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby joe public » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 am

Thank you

Rankinswood wrote:Hi Joe,

I note that Chilterns has posted on the OWG forum re Wytch Elm coppice with an excellent photograph of emerging Wytch Elm leaves that you can compare with your own.

Rankinswood
joe public

Return to Trees and Plants