Small Woodland Owners' Group

Worthy Non-Natives?

Trees and Plants!

Worthy Non-Natives?

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm compiling a list of worthy Trees to plant after we've some light from thinning, and have been rather 'purist' at selecting classic British natives, known to be good for wildlife and human use. Does anyone think there's such a thing as a 'worthy non-native', that is an attractive useful non-invasive imported tree, which also has benefits for wildlife, or does everyone agree that all non-natives should be excluded from British woods ? Also interested in beneficial shrubs. An example of a 'contentious' one might be Buddleia, fabulous for butterflies and a nice splash of colour, but potentially invasive and strictly non-native.

Fear not, Rhododendron is not on my list !
oldclaypaws

Re: Worthy Non-Natives?

Postby Rich » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 am

I guess most of the 'native' trees are here as result of the favourable climatic conditions for them to thrive over the last few thousand years. As the climate is changing at a faster rate than ever before, planting non natives might be a shrewd idea? Who knows what will happen in the next few hundred years, I think there was an article on this subject in 'Living Woods' a year or two ago.

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:19 am

I suppose you could say something that is invasive thrives here and as such is well suited to the conditions? - Only problem is the effect it has on everything else and how it affects the balance. Perhaps in 300 years grey squirrels will be accepted and loved as familiar little critters, maybe with an increased population of some bird of prey which munches on them.

I've a swift growing big deciduous tree in my garden which apparently makes great firewood, seeds readily and would coppice, its an Ailanthus or 'Tree of Heaven'. Looks a bit like an Ash. Trouble is, while it ticks a few of the boxes, its apparently considered highly invasive in some places. It might well take over and become the dominant species.

With a curiosity for the exotic, mankind's habit of importing foreign plants and trees seems to be accelerating evolution. Maybe in 100 years the banks of the Thames will be covered in Himilayan Balsam and Japanese Knotweed, American Crayfish and Mink will prowl the shallow waters, under the shade cast by the Eucalyptus and Ailanthus ?
oldclaypaws

Postby Bearwood » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:38 am

For me, it has to be Sweet Chestnut and Black Walnut. Both have had favourable trials in the National Forest and are on order to replace two stands of Grey Poplar in the Winter.
Bearwood

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Bearwood wrote:... Sweet Chestnut and Black Walnut. Both have had favourable trials in the National Forest ...

Do you have links to information about these trials?
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm liking the sound of black walnut, or Juglans nigra. Apparently its more frost resistant than the European, and you have delicious nuts in 4-6 years, with valuable timber for some lucky harvester in the future.

Black_Walnut_nut_and_leave_detail.JPG

Sweet chestnut grows quick, looks nice, might produce nuts? -Still waiting after disastrous year last year, splits well for poles or shingles, coppices well, but has no wildlife benefits other than the badgers like the nuts and squirrels like the bark. It also shades everything out if you let them get big. Personally I prefer Hazel, its better for wildlife; important for several moths and a better adapted native. I've also got it in profusion already, which is a bonus. My Sweet Chestnuts look well nibbled and past their best, I anticipate they'll turn into shingles for my 'hut'.
oldclaypaws

Worthy Non-Natives?

Postby Bearwood » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:35 pm

SimonFisher wrote:
Bearwood wrote:... Sweet Chestnut and Black Walnut. Both have had favourable trials in the National Forest ...

Do you have links to information about these trials?

Here's a link to one of the Black Walnut trials;
http://www.nationalforest.org/document/ ... anting.pdf

I'd recommend giving your Googlefu a bit of a workout regarding the research the Natfor have undertaken. There's some really interesting stuff out there, its a real shame that folks haven't bothered taking it further. There's definitely a few PhD's waiting to be pursued off the back of it all.

For the life of me I can't find the Sweet Chestnut one, but I may have it saved to PDF somewhere. It was originally suggested that sweet chestnut would be a good idea when the local woodland owners got together to discuss issues affecting the greater woodland area, especially Chalara, which is now on our doorstep.

We are involved in a community of ten woodland owners who have hired the services of a consultant to 'consult' upon various matters. His advice has proved invaluable so far with regards to an impending TPO and subsequent felling license applications.

I agree with the lack if wildlife benefits of Sweet Chestnut OCP, its purely a favourite timber tree of mine. I should probably make you aware that the roots of the Black Walnut contain a toxin called Juglone which inhibits some plant growth within the shade of the tree.

This may also be of marginal use to you as well OCP;http://www.nationalforest.org/document/research/RN2_Climate_change.pdf
Bearwood

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I'll read thoroughly the links you posted Bearwood, thankyou.

Might I ask to all, 'OCP' was the faceless conglomerate that invented the psycho robot killer and attempted to sell addictive psychoactive substances in 'Robocop'. Not guilty. I far prefer, please, 'Paws'. As a former regional Chairperson of the RSPCA, and former woose of a Zen monk who doesn't hurt a fly, I quite like the furry cuddly label of 'Paws'. I also take my hounds visiting old crumblies in care homes as part of 'Pets as Therapy', so it seems apt to call me something familiar, oversensitive and fluffy.

Ta. PAWS
oldclaypaws

Worthy Non-Natives?

Postby Bearwood » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Glad you'll find them of use 'Paws. Excuse my use of abbreviations; its a bit of a hangover from my line of work.

I make a concerted effort to tone it down, but to most folks I must come across as a right DH.
Last edited by Bearwood on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearwood

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Sorry, i'm not too good at Acronyms, being a simple woody peasant. Googling suggests you are either the department of health or dear husband, but that doesn't seem to fit.

What is a DH? 'cuse ignorance.

'Paws
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to Trees and Plants