Small Woodland Owners' Group

Mushroom Identification Quiz

Trees and Plants!

Mushroom Identification Quiz

Postby Zathras » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 pm

We had our first good look around for fungus at the weekend and took a few photos.
It would be great to pool some opinions on the identifications, so your views would be appreciated on the following;

Starting with an easy one I'm sure nobody will disagree with...
1. Wood Ears

I'll leave the other descriptions blank for the moment until we have a consensus and keep in the spirit of a quiz...

Cheers, M.
Zathras

Re: Mushroom Identification Quiz

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:43 pm

I think the most common (politically incorrect) name for your no.1 is Jews Ear, auricula judea, or as you say wood ear. They are theoretically edible, but can't say I ever found them exciting. A cross between rubber and congealed gravy, and not very tasty.

Is 7 a very young Inkcap?

I'm hovering in the area where I know my blewitts will appear, last year they were delicious. I do eat wild fungi, but stick to the easy to identify very tasty ones- Inkcaps, Shaggy Parasols, Oyster, Chicken of the Woods, Blewitts.

Unfortunately there are large numbers of 'vague brown mushrooms', which could be one of dozens of species, would love to be able to identify them all, but there are so many. I admit to my ignorance in this department, books and foraging courses required. (or buy dowels / spawn- and do your own- leaves less to chance)

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
oldclaypaws

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello

Look out for Hedge Hogs, Yellowish, usually around conifers

Have spines underneath rather than Gills

Nice

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:51 am

Don't fungi make wonderful photos! I'm not sure what any of those are, but I've enjoyed looking at them.
Zenith

Postby Rich » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Zathras,
Nice pictures, thanks for posting
as OCP points out you can eat Jews Ears or Wood Ears, I've tried them too, they taste of decaying woodlands (unsuprisingly!) and have the texture of a slug, but then I wasn't particularly hungry at the time...

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 pm

have the texture of a slug

So, you've apparently eaten slugs Rich? Was this intentional, or were they concealed in the folds of a lettuce?
Are they a delicacy in your part of the world?

Believe it or not, Hugh Furry-Whittlebum has a recipe for slug fritters! Survivalists and those with a sense of masochism might care to try this and report back. I'm not volunteering, I'll stick to mushrooms and dead cow!

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/hugh-s-slug-fritters-recipe
oldclaypaws

Postby Rich » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:44 am

Well I'm guessing they have the same texture as a snail which I have tried, though I suppose they'd be less crunchy if you didn't remove the shell...

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:27 am

Well I'm guessing they have the same texture as a snail which I have tried, though I suppose they'd be less crunchy if you didn't remove the shell...

:lol: :roll: :lol:

Its curious how we are conditioned to think of some quite nutritious things as disgusting or inedible, but other accepted foodstuffs on supermarket shelves are of pretty dubious origin.

Wild mushrooms, if you're careful, are in many cases far more tasty than cultured ones, and whats the difference between snails versus edible sea molluscs such as cockles or oysters, which are seen as delicacies?

Hyacinth Bucket types might turn a nose up at snails, but will eat red cochineal food colour (ground beetle), use Isinglass to preserve eggs (fish bladder), eat haggis (lungs in a stomach), and black pudding (pig blood).

Part of the benefit of exposure to wild food is it makes you question many of the hypocrisies and truths about 'conventional' foods, which are seldom fresh, full of preservatives and additives and have often traveled the globe leaving a huge carbon trail before landing on your plate.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm

I can vouch for frogs legs tasting nice
Dexter's Shed

Postby Rankinswood » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 pm

I heard on the radio today that if you pick magic mushrooms then you can now be arrested for being in possession of category "A" drugs with the prospect of enduring a very long prison sentence. Since ignorance of the law is no excuse it will thus become very important for fungii pickers to know exactly what magic mushrooms look like. Apparantly the police are out today (Wed 23 Oct 13) in Severnake forest stopping those persons enagaged in mushroom forays with several arrests already made.

The nanny state has gone mad.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Next

Return to Trees and Plants