Small Woodland Owners' Group

Mushroom Identification Quiz

Trees and Plants!

Re: Mushroom Identification Quiz

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm

As I recall, (not that I'd know anything about this subject ;) ) philocybin tends to grow on untreated pastures on hillsides, particularly in wetter cooler places, such as Dartmoor, Wales, Scotland, and rather well at Beaconsfield Rugby Fields.

It is psychoactive, and use of it tends to lead to hysterical laughter, giggling fits, and mild hallucinations. (so I'm told by ashamed former lawbreakers). Best way to identify philocybin is apparently make a tea from it and see what happens when you drink it. Sounds quite awful, quite right its banned. Its much more sensible to stick to legal stimulants such as nicotine and alcohol, the only side effects they have are lung cancer, heart disease, violence and liver sclerosis; so much more sensible to use.

As I woudnt expect to find Magic Mushrooms in a forest, perhaps the police are actually looking for gangs, harvesting all the wild mushrooms to sell for huge sums to fancy restaurants. It devastates the ecology and should be rightly be clamped down on. Presumably wholesale clearance of forest fungi for commercial gain is illegal, but not sure what exactly the laws and penalties are.

In my experience (of what I've heard, not first-hand), penalties for hippy-type plant & fungi stimulants are not ruthlessly enforced with custodial sentences, there is a degree of tolerance and hand slapping for minor use, eg verbal warnings or small fines.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:05 pm

As an update, yes according to the news, Wiltshire Police are hippy hunting again in Savernake and have arrested 6 people. What a fine use of police resources. As I recall, Wiltshire Police have a fine history of community relations with the hippy community, having famously done things like herding all their vehicles into a field and trashing them. ('Battle of the bean field').

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Beanfield

They are equally welcoming to motorists, who provide a major boost to police revenue for daring to exceed the speed limits by 3 mph on otherwise deserted rural roads.

They apparently cited the justification is they were concerned the offenders would get poisoned and quoted a local hospital Doctor saying they saw a seasonal influx of mushroom poisonings from such actions. The NHS later denied this was true. Shock horror, boys in blue telling fibs to suit their own agenda? Anyone seen the 'Plebgate' inquiry coverage today?
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:54 pm

so its OK for the police to trespass on private woodland in search of magic mushroom pickers????
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello We have Magic Mushrooms in a mixed woodland with Sweet Chestnut

Not lots

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Hmmmm....

I'm starting to like woodlands more and more. They're such 'trippy' places. I always thought the trees would end up talking to me....
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Incase anyone accidentally digests magic mushrooms, they should be aware of the following terrible effects, as found in Government funded University research in the USA;

In 2006, the United States government funded a randomized and double-blinded study by Johns Hopkins University which studied the spiritual effects of psilocybin in particular. That is, they did not use mushrooms specifically (in fact, each individual mushroom piece can vary widely in psilocybin and psilocin content).[27] The study involved 36 college-educated adults (average age of 46) who had never tried psilocybin nor had a history of drug use, and who had religious or spiritual interests. The participants were closely observed for eight-hour intervals in a laboratory while under the influence of psilocybin.[28]

One-third of the participants reported the experience was the single most spiritually significant moment of their lives, and more than two-thirds reported it was among the top five most spiritually significant experiences. Two months after the study, 79% of the participants reported increased well-being or satisfaction; friends, relatives, and associates confirmed this. They also reported anxiety and depression symptoms to be decreased or completely gone. Fourteen months after the study, 64% of participants said they still experienced an increase in well-being or life satisfaction.

Easy to see why they are banned, after all you wouldnt want people to turn away from healthy things like alcohol and tobacco, which raise all that nice money for worthy government causes like spying on us, Drones, and sending squaddies on holiday in other peoples countries.

Just call me a cynical old hippy.
oldclaypaws

Postby Zenith » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Zenith

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:09 pm

So anyone got any answers to the fungi pictures?
Afraid I can't help
I also have interesting fungi in the woods that I can't identify.
With regard to magic mushrooms, I used to ride with a stables that went out over rough wet farmland/ moorland. At the right time of year we would meet people who were not dressed for the wilds of the hills carrying plastic bags. collecting magic mushrooms so I was informed.
Can also make you horribly ill. family friends spent their wedding anniversary in A+E after their daughter "experimented"
SitkaSpruce

Previous

Return to Trees and Plants