Small Woodland Owners' Group

Do you know a good supplier of young trees

Trees and Plants!

Do you know a good supplier of young trees

Postby smojo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:46 am

Just wondering where you buy your native tree saplings and how much do you pay for them. What size/age are they etc. Maybe be wanting some before long - hopefully!
smojo

Re: Do you know a good supplier of young trees

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:12 pm

On any established wood there will be seedlings in the understorey waiting for something else to come down, providing an opportunity to head for the light above. These seedlings will be adapted to the exact conditions of the wood, don't cost anything, and are probably appropriate natives. The 'natural regeneration' approach or using seed from your own existing trees has many advantages, apart from maybe taking a bit longer than purchasing and planting nursery grown trees.

If on the other hand, you want to introduce additional species which aren't there, you'll obviously have to buy them, unless you bump into someone with a few going spare. Do think of wildlife when planting new trees, whereas Eucalyptus is perhaps one of the fastest growing and best fuel woods, it has virtually no wildlife benefits, we don't have koalas or other species that can feed on it. Natives are always best for wildlife, they are an integral evolved part of the ecosystem.

This lot near me seem very competitive with a good range, although suppliers nearer to 'up North will have trees better suited to your local climate (Eg Yorkshire Artic Tundra, rather than the Devon tropics).

http://www.perriehale.co.uk/
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:30 pm

I would only plant native trees and research what grows best on the soil type (underlying limestone). There are thousands of tiny beech and ash saplings all over the wood but I was thinking of trees that would grow fairly quickly and also ones that might have flowers. they would probably have to be planted near the borders to get some light. I'm thinking hazel, hawthorn, sweet chestnut. Haven't really studied it yet.
smojo

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:11 pm

I've just finished planting 50 shrubs into my wood. they cost 55p and 65p each for hazel and goat willow respectively. The goat willow were bigger. Tried to get from the tree nursery just down the road from the wood but didn't get a reply so ending up ordering from Scotland- from a small nursery in Fife. Got very nice plants very promptly. Planting season is nearly over anyway so you've got till autumn to research.
Get to know your wood first- everything is dormant- just- at present though it will soon become clear what you have. Mine is largely a conifer plantation so I'm trying to add a bit of diversity. But within it I have found good size rowan, small oak trees and lots of birch. There's also gorse and broom and bilberry. I'm still working my way into diff parts so who knows what I might find yet!
SitkaSpruce

Postby Brown » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Sycamore grows quickly and is a good all-rounder but can be a bit invasive and some consider it a weed. I've introduced large leaved lime in my woods with some success and is a tree often overlooked for some reason. It's native and was in prehistoric times the dominant species in these lands. Also grows at a good rate. There are specialized tree nurseries around that will sell you bare rooted saplings at around a pound or two each. If you need guards due to presence of deer/rabbits etc, expect to pay 2 or 3 times the price of a tree per guard. Worth it though and you can re-use the guards.
Brown

Return to Trees and Plants