Small Woodland Owners' Group

Coralroot

Trees and Plants!

Coralroot

Postby TerryH » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Went for a picnic in the woods today and found what I believe to be some 'Coralroot' (Cardamine bulbifera)

It has pink/lilac flowers, and small brown 'bulbils' where the pinnate, toothed leaves join the stem (you can see these in the photos above). Apparently it propagates from these bulbils rather than from the flowers producing seed. It's an AWI... fairly scarce, though less so down here on the Weald clay where we are. Likes to be on damp soil I understand and we found it right in a spot where our seasonal stream runs through...

Quite excited about this one.. hope I haven't identified it wrong.. (will be red-faced if I have !)
TerryH

Re: Coralroot

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:49 pm

as I'm crap at identifying anything, any idea on what this is?

Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Dexters is early purple orchid, Orchis Mascula. It may sound exciting to have orchids, but they are actually fairly widespread and their conservation status is 'common'. We've got a few on our woodbanks, just coming out now. Pretty, innit? They make a great squelching noise when you drive over them with your new tractor. :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchis_mascula
oldclaypaws

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Cardamine pratensis maybe Ladys Smock or other names Was used like watercress??? WikiWoods is good for all things

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to Trees and Plants