Small Woodland Owners' Group

Delayed flushing of Ash Trees

Trees and Plants!

Delayed flushing of Ash Trees

Postby Rankinswood » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:44 am

Has anyone else noticed that ash trees appear to be holding back from flushing out this year ?

The young ash trees in pots in my tree nursery have flushed out but the bigger more established trees still have tight buds.

Is this related to Chalara

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Re: Delayed flushing of Ash Trees

Postby Judith » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:04 pm

I'd noticed the same thing around here (Northants), so have just looked it up. I knew that ash trees are usually among the last species to flush and it's borne out here on the Forestry Commission website http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

There's also an old rhyme "If the oak before the ash, then we'll only have a splash, if the ash before the oak, then we'll surely have a soak" which doesn't bode well . . .
Judith

Postby Rankinswood » Thu May 08, 2014 5:00 am

I am pleased report that the leaf buds on the big ash tree in my garden have at long last swollen and burst.

The giveaway indicator was when I saw the wood pigeons pecking rather precariously at the ends of the branch tips on the emerging tender shoots.

I wonder what has caused this late flushing this year ? Notably we have had very little frost and it has been a very wet this winter.

Both Oak and beech are now fully flushed.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu May 08, 2014 9:58 am

I noticed one of my ash is just in the early stages of budding, whilst everything around it is in full leaf, presume this is what your on about
Dexter's Shed

Return to Trees and Plants