Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sources of Hazel - East Sussex/Kent

Trees and Plants!

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Hello,

Having started coppicing our first little patch, it looks like we may have some replanting to do! We cleared most of the dead wood and left a few whips on some of the healthier stools, but still have quite a bit of ground which will need replanting. Can anyone suggest a supplier for hazel in or around East Sussex or Kent? And if so what age and densisty should we be aiming at?

Thanks

Rich and Penny

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby RichardKing » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Hazel can be propagated vegetatively very easily from both cuttings & by layering. Cuttings are usually taken between autumn to December, but Hazel roots so easily that I would have thought that you still have time for cuttings. Apart from the zero cost you will have the advantage of perpetuating the local genitic diversity of own Hazel, which may have adapted to the specific conditions of your woodland over thousands of years.

I would recommend you read, or get the book "Tree Planting & Aftercare" by BTCV I think its abou £12-.

As for density, it depends on available light, size of shrubs. You can always plant more densely & thin, or move young plants. They will need protection from rabbits/voles/deer etc.

RichardKing

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Have you tried layering? maybe with some of those whips you have left on. Just bend them over, scrape the bark off on the underside and hold it in to the ground with a log. After 2 years it should have rooted and can be cut off from the mother tree. Or try these guys http://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/

Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Dame beat me to it ;)

Darren

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:07 pm

You can read the Tree Planting book online too

http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/chapter/656

Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on!

tracy

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:21 pm

Aha!

Of course, if I'd have stopped to think, I'd have realized that that is just what our bean poles are doing when they sprout leaves!

So I meant to mention the whips we've left are for layering into the gaps, and where they won't reach I guess we'll try cuttings.

As this is our first time doing this, we've had some moments of self doubt when we look back at the carnage we've caused! has anyone else felt the same?

Rich and Penny

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Yes, we all feel the same (well, we do) but you can't cause carnage planting and layering some hazel....!

As for the area you coppiced, just you wait til you see the fantastic regrowth and light on the ground, its fabulous, take heart, it will be good....

tracy

Postby DaveTaz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:25 pm

loads of info on coppicing here www.greenwoodcentre.org.uk, click on beanpoles on the menu bar, talks in detail about stocking density etc

DaveTaz

Postby Dennis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 pm

On a course in the Clwydian hills this weekend (late Feb) I saw local hazel (stunted and twisted), hazel sourced from Forest Start in Herefordshire (lots of poles and plenty of catkins) and Kentish cobnut. Source of the cobnut not mentioned; it had grown lots of stems to 12ft+ in jusst two years, and even fruited heavily in the 2nd season. Course instructor very pleased with both outside varieties.

Dennis

Return to Trees and Plants