Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bluebell decline

Trees and Plants!

Bluebell decline

Postby alexw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi,

The bluebells at one end of the wood are declining each year. It is only under the ash trees which are quite dense, but the bluebells are quite happy under thick sycamore and sweet chestnut. I have tested the soil, and it is less acidic than under the bluebells, but not alkaline.

where the bluebells have receded there is dogs mercury growing, which I have read enjoys alkaline shade, but the soil seems quite acid still.

Any suggestions? I am trying to thin the canopy to let more light in, but ending up with lots of nettles!
alexw

Re: Bluebell decline

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:11 am

I suspect the issue is you're changing the balance and light conditions which enables other more light-suited species to out-compete the bluebells. You've said where there's more shade under Sweet Chestnut and Sycamore (which are very densely shady) the bluebells do well, here it'll be partial shade and too dark for the Dogs Mercury. Ash trees have quite a light and late leafing canopy, less than other trees, and the increased light from thinning will enable more photophilic species to get an edge on shade tolerant ones. Each plant establishes defensive root systems and may steal the nutrients and light to fight off other plants, so the winner will be the plant optimally suited to the particular localised environment.

If you stop thinning and plant (or allow natural spreading) of more shady trees to give a dappled shade, the bluebells may well be the winners, provided you don't have too much shade-then it'll benefit ivy.

Its a delicate balance, and a mixture of different conditions (and perhaps a coppicing regime) will ensure greater biodiversity. Nature will adapt to what you do, but it won't always be exactly what you want, it has a mind of its own !
oldclaypaws

Return to Trees and Plants