Small Woodland Owners' Group

Ill Conifers?

Trees and Plants!

Ill Conifers?

Postby Patandsam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:47 pm

We have some nice conifers which we think are Larch. They have suddenly started to turn yellow and the needles are dropping off. I think it happened before but they seemed to recover. What might be wrong with them please.
Patandsam

Re: Ill Conifers?

Postby Treeation » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi there,

Do not worry. Larch are deciduous conifers. Possibly the only conifers that are so. They lose there leaves like broadleaves do. Obviously be aware and get familiar with the symptoms of phytophora ramorum which larch is susceptible to. try forestry commission website for more info on such tree diseases.This time of year needle loss is totally acceptable.

Regards Patrick
Www.treeation.co.uk
Treeation

Postby Rankinswood » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:27 am

Yes,

What is your location ? - This will help re predicting the likelihood of ramorum.

Are all your conifers turning yellow or just ones or two ?

Our larch are beginning to drop their needles but are not yet obviously yellow.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby Patandsam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:15 am

We never knew there were conifers that shed there needles, I thought they were all evergreen. Having thought about it I think it happens every year about this time. It seems we are suffering from a bad case of Autumn. Doh. :oops:
Patandsam

Postby Rankinswood » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:32 am

Hi PatandSam,

I took a good look at our larches yesterday afternoon (South Oxfordshire) and these are all still very much green and so depending on your location we should be able to take a guess as to whether this is early onset autumn or chalara fraxinae.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby SitkaSpruce » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:28 am

We were hiking at 400m last weekend and the larches at that height are starting to turn, it got down to 4deg at sea level - so likely freezing there. my larches are at 150m and they weren't showing any signs last week. Patandsam are in the lakes so may well have had cooler temps. sounds likely to be autumn but you are in a high risk area for ramorum.
SitkaSpruce

Return to Trees and Plants