Small Woodland Owners' Group

Rhodydendron and Bracken

Trees and Plants!

Postby RangerDave » Tue May 13, 2008 12:39 pm

A quick note for those dealing with Rhododendron ponticum;

-Although it is an invasive shrub, it does provide dense evergreen cover, which can be a benefit for some species.

-however the waxy cuticle (to protect the plant from dehydration and predation) means that leaf litter is slow to break down, leaving a very effective \'mulch\' layer preventing competing flora from germinating etc.

-Also as the leaves break down, they release toxins into the soil which also prevent competition - it may be worth trying a planting of Birch after clearing which may help remove toxins.

-the poisonous nature of the plant and its root system MUST be considered when clearing, especially if you burn the arrisings - the smoke is also poisonous and should not be breathed in.

RangerDave

Postby tracy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:48 pm

I asked Tom at BTCV about Bracken, as Mike and I have read so many conflicting things about it. Here is his very helpful reply:

"Why do bracken crushing?

basically the advantage of crushing the bracken is that it stunts its growth. By crushing it it brakes and damages the the stem, so in the next year of its growth it will be concentrating on restoring the damage rather than growing bigger.

Some butterflies do use the bracken to lay eggs, but the idea of crushing it is not to prevent its growth totally but limit the size of the canopy. The Pearl Bordered Frit for example feeds on Dog Violets. These need the shade from the bracken to grow, but to much bracken will in some cases prevent its growth. The butterfly also uses the bracken as shade and the bracken leaf litter is used for webs etc."

A helpful reply I thought.....

and thanks Dave for the information on the Rhody....

tracy

Postby tracy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:03 am

Here is a superb new way of getting rid of Rhody - the martial art way!

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland/Rhodochop-how-martial-arts-will.5907470.jp

tracy

Postby Henrietta » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 pm

There is quite a lot of Bracken in our wood. I have cleared a small area by bashing it for the last four years. It is seriously weakened now but is does take time. Every time it tried to regrow, I broke it off again, which I found much more effective than just damaging the stems. I did this at least every two weeks through out the growing season. I think it's important to only tackle as much as you have time for and don't wait untill it has fully grown, knock it back as soon as it emerges.

Henrietta

Previous

Return to Trees and Plants