Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree thinning

Trees and Plants!

Postby tracy » Thu May 21, 2009 11:32 am

Prof. Julian Evans has a done a short introductory video on tree thinning, you can see it on woodlandstv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj_S1A6rqXU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodlandstv.co.uk%2F&feature=player_embedded

We thinned some oaks last year - amazing to see the ones left behind growing bigger canopies and the effect of extra light coming down the ground.

tracy

Postby Stephen1 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Prof. Evans is a lovely, genuine and knowledgable bloke but it is worth remembering that he has a very specific take on the 'purpose' of woodland and our relationship with it. His perspective is one that is informed by his christianity - that is that we are stewards of God's creation and that there is almost a duty to work with God's creation to the end of useful productivity i.e. timber.

It certainly isn't the only approach. Different situations, woodland histories and potential wildlife, all need to be given thought before deciding to follow thinning strategies that favour the rapid growth of trees that are likely to produce 'good' timber for the market as the ultimate goal.

A "diseased" tree is one playing host to fungi or invertebrates different to those associated with a "healthy" tree. It's all a question of perspective. In deciding if you are going to thin with the aim of producing "good" straight timber - i.e. trees without nooks and crannies, forks, rot holes, dead branches then really consider if a small wood is ever really likely to be a good bet financially for timber? Perhaps a small wood with trees that cause offence to a forester, but with greater biodiversity are really what you might have been aiming for when you started playing this game...

I'm not criticising Julian - just wondering if his approach should neccesarily be thought the 'correct' way to manage small woods?

Stephen1

Postby Exeldama » Thu May 21, 2009 7:13 pm

As a newbie, but one with a life long regard for our wildlife i would respectfully suggest that there are a number of ways which are all acceptable. Personally i dont buy into the religious inflection alluded to above, but its an interesting idea.

I do agree we are custodians but for our children ,humanity and small peculiar creatures that live amongst the leaf mould. I think my children are marginally above the latter.

Exeldama

Postby Stephen1 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Exeldama wrote: "Personally i dont buy into the religious inflection alluded to above, but its an interesting idea."

I can't claim the idea as my own unfortunately! I've heard him speak and lecture several times, and he describes his position as that very openly. I don't share his precise belief system :-), but I respect his honesty and committment.

If I didn't know he was so open and vocal about it I wouldn't have dreamt of mentioning it. I don't think you could read his first two books about his own wood without also being aware of his stance.

Stephen1

Postby Exeldama » Thu May 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Im sure he is a most pleasant chap, but my brain cannot compute somethings, though as you say we all have our own beliefs.

I not committed but i should be... to a small cell, with padded walls and a nice view..preferably woods.

Exeldama

Postby tracy » Fri May 22, 2009 6:10 am

I think in this particular video, Julian is more of a forester in his approach (which he is) - and is is specifically talking about thinning for timber.

But, he does also mention other benefits for thinning, like letting the light to the ground. Other reasons for thinning include increased canopy size and a better chance for a larger root spread. ( or so I have read)

I have heard that if you have 3 foresters in a room you will have 4 opinions! lol

tracy

Postby Darren » Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 am

Only 4 opinions? must have been an off day. ;0)

We had thinned around some oaks that had been planted about 16 years ago. Some had become over crowded and died. The ones that are left have already taken up the space, seeing new flower is a bonus though, such like bluebells and orchids. Now we of a coppice there.

Darren

Postby Stephen1 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:24 am

Hi Tracy

Yes I appreciate that it's with the goal of timber production that he's talking - I just wanted to mention different perspectives to thinning.

As a very new member can I ask if "traditional management" versus "wildwood" is something that has been discussed here in the past - i.e. in the archive somewhere?

Stephen1

Postby tracy » Fri May 22, 2009 8:33 am

No, not that I know of! Feel free to start it....

tracy

Postby John H » Fri May 22, 2009 10:43 am

When the RELIGION or POLITICS word enters a thread: I'M OUT.

But I thought it was a good video.

John H

Next

Return to Trees and Plants