Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree thinning

Trees and Plants!

Postby Stephen1 » Fri May 22, 2009 3:51 pm

I never really understand when people are happy to act politically yet not feel comfortable to talk about it? Surely actions speak louder than words? And talking surely helps understanding - even if some other peoples views might be uncomfortable. Land ownership is always on one level or other political, and whilst that might be uncomfortable it remains a fact.

As a newbie I'm just getting a feel for the culture of this forum, and as I learn which sorts of topics are off-limits here I will certainly respect that code.

Stephen1

Postby Underwoodsman » Fri May 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Oh dear silly me, I thought that I was following best forestry practice and now it seems that I was following the preaching’s of a religious sect :-). Whatever Julian's religious beliefs are he was, in the video, simply stating what has been best practice in woodland management for at least the past 400 years. It is the best way to manage plantation especially softwood but is not necessarily the way to manage ancient woodland sites. Like it or not we are only the stewards of our woods, we will not be around when many of our trees mature, and we will be roundly cursed by a future generation if we do not look after the trees we pass on to them. Remember also that what we see as our 'small wood' is often a woodlotted area so could be part of a much larger block so it isn’t that small after all.

Underwoodsman

Postby Underwoodsman » Fri May 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Incidentally Tracy if you think 3 foresters have 4 opinions you obviously haven't been to a forestry meeting with Julian Evans, Oliver Rackham & Ted Green all attending. Ted Green has 4 all on his own ;-) most of them worth listening to but contentious to say the least. Could have put more in the above post but I don't want to get a reputation for being grumpy, anyway I think I have just found an article to write, comming soon to an inbox near you.

Underwoodsman

Postby greyman » Fri May 22, 2009 5:13 pm

I have to say that I think that ones religion and political thoughts are ones own and they should remain that way when posting here. While land ownership and management may well be political (as in the big P political) you can still talk about things on this forum without citing religion and politics. Well that is what I fell anyway.

Greyman

greyman

Postby The Sawyer » Fri May 22, 2009 5:15 pm

First off thank you Tracy for posting a link to this as it is of interest even to those of us that work in the forestry industry.

I find it some what strange the a number of members of this forum seam to think that Julian Evans is some sort of religious crank. In my experience of him over the past 8 years I have found him to be a fountain of knowledge and more than willing to offer advice as well as take it. also from what i have been told about his work in africa helping people to help themselves through tree planting it seams that he is at least trying to do some good in the world.

as far as the video goes it is and has been for the past 1000 years standard practice to thin for the best trees mimicking nature. above Stephen1 mentioned "traditional management" versus "wildwood" in partial answer to this it would depend on the traditional management you are talking about in our woods that is coppicing but over the last 40 years this has just been left to what may call wild wood. it is an unfortunate fact the wildwood has been a thing of the past in the UK for nearly 3000 years with bronze age man clearing large areas for farming. I would suggest that reading some of the books by Oliver Rackham may shed some light one the history of forestry in the UK. I wait with intrest to see how this thread goes on. ttfn Kester

The Sawyer

Postby greyman » Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Well said Kester. Nothing against other peoples religious or political leanings intended.

Greyman

greyman

Postby tracy » Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Chuckle. Forums make me laugh! No one said Julian was a religious crank, in fact, all have been complementary about him. He is going away shortly and I am sure he will be fascinated to read this when he gets back ;-)

There are no rules yet on this forum - except politeness and tolerance, and perhaps being aware that the way we express ourselves in writing may not come across in the way we intend. I am fortunate in that I have met many of you and know how funny you are - just remember that the written word can easily be misconstrued.

Otherwise 'teacher' here will have to get out a rule book! lol

tracy

Postby tracy » Fri May 22, 2009 5:29 pm

btw, I meant funny 'ha ha' not funny 'weird', although I suspect the latter might apply to some of us;-)

And if you wish to read one of Julians books, (all about owning your own wood) it is online

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/owning-a-wood/badgers-beeches-and-blisters.php

tracy

Postby Stephen1 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Hang on I didn't say Prof. Evans was a religous crank??? Nor did I say the approach to thinning he suggested was wrong. If you're trying to grow trees for timber you'd be hard pushed to find someone better to give you advice than Prof. Evans. I was just trying to open up the question of different approaches and "aims" to thinning. Thinning to promote timber growth isn't the only motivation to thin. Read what I actually said - not what you thought I said.

If you look back at my words far from implying he was a crank I explicitly stated my respect for his position. He works in a scientific field, one where to be openly christian invites at best mild suprise from ones peers. Having worked in that area myself his openess and complete honesty has my respect. My spirituality plays a part in the way I work with the land, and I'm genuinely interested when I see others follow that approach, even with a different view.

Don't worry I'll certainly not mention such matters again!

Stephen1

Postby Exeldama » Fri May 22, 2009 7:35 pm

I thought crank was part of an engine.

I think at this point i should mention that i think Mr Evans whom i dont know and in fact i didnt know it was him when i looked at the blog reminds me of my granddad and thats good enough for me as he was my star...then again perhaps that isnt a compliment given he is dead... Ooops no offence.

Yes his article was both imformative and i detect a humourus fellow .

Exeldama

PreviousNext

Return to Trees and Plants