Small Woodland Owners' Group

Common Bilberry

Trees and Plants!

Postby James M » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Does any one have common bilberry (VACCINIUM MYRTILLUS) in their woods?

I'm thinking about introducing it, but being a wild plant one can't get seeds/berries for it. There are none in any areas I know of that I can get to at berry time.

James M

Postby Stephen1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:18 pm

Bilberry is a species which indicates a very acidic soil. If your soil isn't acidic you are unlikely to have much success introducing bilberry.

Where the soil is acidic it has a competetive advantage over many other plants - where the soil is more basic then other plants will outcompete it. It's the competition from other plants that is the key. You can grow it in a pot in any soil in the abscence of competitors - but it still does best if the soil is acidic.

Under the shady canopy of a closed woodland you probably wouldn't get a lot of fruit - as not a lot of spare energy / sunshine.

we have some in acidic areas of our woods - so if you want to have a go with it I could send you some berries later in the year?

Stephen1

Postby James M » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks, Stephen that's just what I need. Our soil's very acidic and I'll be planting it in some of the open areas we have, and killing/tilling some of the bracken and trying to establish it there.

I'm not so interested in the fruit, the woodpigeon will have all that, just trying to mix things up and add some diversity.

If you give me a shout on the forum when the berries are blooming I can get my details to you. Naturally I'll pay any incurred costs .

Cheers.

James M

Return to Trees and Plants