Small Woodland Owners' Group

Introduced species.

Trees and Plants!

Postby Exeldama » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Buddelia..! The wood i have is a bit low on life. Not sure why yet, nothing obvious, but not many birds and insects considering the trees.

Trying to move things on a bit with some planting, opening up and pond etc.... but was wondering what people thought about introducing species that arnt native but that arnt crazy.

Obviously got to be good for wildlife, particularily insects....Buddleia srung to mind.... any thoughts..it seems to have become endemic elsewhere...thoughts and others.

Exeldama

Postby docsquid » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:00 am

We have thought about buddleia as well - I have grown four from seed at home. We have a local naturalist who has been studying our site for nigh on 50 years, and he didn't think it was a bad idea - it is certainly a very well naturalised species and doesn't seem to take over or go crazy. It would be good for butterflies, and we could try it in the "garden" area near our building first.

docsquid

Postby greyman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:08 pm

We've got some budlia's in ours but I don't think they were planted as such. You just need to remember that they need cutting back in March to get good crops of flowers if you plan to get lots of butterflies. They can grow quite large - as big as a Hazel if left but if in amongst your other stock that might not happen.

Greyman

greyman

Return to Trees and Plants