Small Woodland Owners' Group

Oak tree planting

Trees and Plants!

Postby Exeldama » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

I am having a blonde moment........ i have grown oaks from wee acorns before, but did i plant them when they were green acorns or brown...... does it matter, i cant remember, must be mildew on the brain.

Help, ta.

Exeldama

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Exeldama - In my opinion... does not matter -

I picked green acorns off branches last year - when ripe the easily come out of their 'cup' - they have grown well in the garden this year.

I have been planting acorns for the last few years in my garden ( for transplanting into the wood) - get a few no shows - but have always got something - standard folklore says do not use acorns that float on water or have holes in them.

If in doubt - try the volume approach - more acorns you plant - the better the odds of something growing -

MartreCycle

Postby tracy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:03 pm

What age tree are you are to transplant Martrecycle? That sounds a good way to grow some....

tracy

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Tracy, I tend not to go on age but size - owing to the conditions on the site - I currenly plant using spirals - so as long as the trees are witing a couple inches of the top of the spiral or higher - I will then plant.

For the last few years - have planted around 600 acorns each year - some thrive - and I am able to plant within 2 years - others are coming up to 4 years and are barely 9 inches -

MartreCycle

Postby Exeldama » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks... going to do about a hundred this time... i usually plant after 3 years, but up til now its only been giving them to freinds or my dad...now i have my own wood to play with it feels more constructive. Just a thought i seem to find those that lose the lead shoot grow better year 2 and 3, thicker stouter and more growth.

Exeldama

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 am

Why not just plant them in the woods? In the spring when they pop up stick a tube on top of them.

Saves all that labour and watering and replanting etc.

I tend to find them a seedlings and stick a tube on top I don't even plant them, I let the squirrels and Jays do all the work. ;)

Darren

Return to Trees and Plants