Small Woodland Owners' Group

Invasive trees

Trees and Plants!

Postby Twybill » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:47 pm

I wonder if anyone else regrets planting certain species of trees.

A good number of years ago I planted Aspen, Wild Cherry (Prunus avium) and Wild Service (Sorbus torminalis) as added interest in my Oak wood. Now I find all these are sending up suckers everywhere and quite an amazing distance from the main trees. Aspen is probably the worst culprit, although it does prefer the clearings as it needs plenty of light. If anyone wishes to quickly cover an area with trees very cheaply, choose the above species and another which I have just remembered planting, Grey Alder (Alnus incana). This also suckers but not as widely and comes into leaf and catkins weeks before the native Alder. At least I now have plenty of sticks for the garden!

I understood that Aspen will not coppice but I find that most cut stems send out strong shoots.

Has anyone else planted things that are now doing just that bit too well?

Twybill

Postby jillybean » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm surprised that Wild Service does so well, its referred to in so many books as the rare and elusive beauty of olde England. I have a Copse of self seeded goat willow and silver birch that drive me to despair, but as you say, its a never ending supply of sticks. I make artists charcoal, supply my little wood burner, and cut poles to repair the hedge with. The willow coppices like triffids, and I guess the birch suckers,its hard to tell through the Brambles.

jillybean

Return to Trees and Plants