Small Woodland Owners' Group

anybody fancy swapping nuts

Trees and Plants!

Postby splodger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:41 pm

hmm - i bet this topic gets a few reads - lol

as title says - just wondered if anybody would like to swap seed nuts - for planting

we have a really good strain of sweet chestnut - tasty nut - disease free trees etc etc

and as we have a really good crop this year - i am going to collect a load up for sowing - to get more young trees growing - i am willing to collect up some nuts for other people - if anybody wants some - in exchange for cobnuts / filberts / hazel nut - again for sowing - wouldn't mind a few acorns or beech nuts either - as the wasps get one and squirrels the other - so we have very little viable seed of those at our place - fortunately we have way too many chestnuts for the rats, squirrels, chickens, mice and the occasional MOP - so have plenty left for planting

splodger

Postby Stephen1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Splodger

I'd be on for swapping some nuts. Unfortunately the squirrels get pretty much all our hazel nuts before they're ripe, but we do have some very good oak of both species if you're interested?

Stephen1

Postby splodger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:27 am

hi stephen1 - i shall start collecting up the nuts that have recently fallen (before any wet weather sets in) so if you can collect some acorns - i would happily swap with you - thanks

splodger

Postby woodbodger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Yep I have lots of 13mm ones they haven't been doing to well and I am wondering whether Wales is perhaps a little bit too cold for them; I have possibly moved them too far away from their native habitat.

On a serious note someone in the past has planted chestnuts in my wood and they are really struggling, there is serious squirrel damage but apart from that they do not seem to like the environment here.

woodbodger

Return to Trees and Plants