Small Woodland Owners' Group

P. Ramorum

Trees and Plants!

Postby solar bud » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi,

I've read a little bit about it and I'm worried that I might have the fungus in my wood. It's in North Wales and full of rhododendron. Most of the plants are ok but quite a few have black spots on their leaves which I understand is one of the symptoms.

I think there are some larch in the woodland but not too sure. What can I do to investigate further? Are there any grants for getting rid of it?

Advice appreciated!!

solar bud

Postby Dennis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 am

There's an article in the current (June 2011) newsletter for starters.

Dennis

Postby solar bud » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:51 am

After reading up a bit more about it this morning I think that my plants might actually have rhododendron leaf spot rather than the dreaded p. ramorum actually. Hopefully.

solar bud

Postby Stephen1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:58 am

Hi Solar bud

There are lots of fungal and bacterial infections that cause spots on the leaves of rhododendrons and their kind - so I wouldn't panic just yet!

I'm guessing you haven't had the wood long if you aren't sure if there are any Larch present? If that's the case then you won't have any form of woodland grant in place? At the moment the whole grant system in Wales is up in the air - the only assistance available is to help with the removal of immature infected conifers that would otherwise have huge financial implications for owners. If you're not yet in a scheme for rhododendron removal then I think you'll have to wait until Glastir goes live with a system similar to the old woodland maintenance grants.

BUT don't let that stop you starting to remove the rhododendron now - a million reasons to remove it, None to keep it. The best protection you can offer your wood from Phytophthora is the removal of species like rhododendron and Larch in particular(these are the most dangerous hosts because phytophthora r produces masses of spores (air dispersed spores) on it - making infection of nearby plants much more likely. (on most other host they rarely produce spores so spread is much slower (vegetative fragments spread by moving soil around i.e. on shoes)

Where are you exactly in North Wales? I'm in North Wales myself so might be able to come and take a look some time?

Stephen1

Postby solar bud » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Stephen, thanks for the advice!

I have made it my mission to get on to of the rhodies at my place (which is near Dolgellau), I have already chopped some down but there are loads and I think the next step might be to go round with a drill and some Roundup stump killer. It's going to be a mammoth task!!

The purple flowers look quite pretty in bloom but there are some parts of the wood where there is nothing but rhododendron!

I think I do have some larch but as I've only owned the wood for a few weeks I haven't had chance to do any kind of an audit yet!

solar bud

Postby Dennis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

The problem with your rhodies must be common in the area. Recently I visited woodland just down the road from you at Arthog, and the rhody leaves were as you describe, and very poor shape.

Dennis

Postby Twybill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 pm

When you mention Larch as a host for Phytopthera ramorum, don't forget that the species being felled in huge numbers is Japanese Larch. It is a sporulating host to the disease and is capable of spreading it far and wide.

At the moment there has only been an odd case of European Larch affected by the Ramorum, so it isn't yet known whether this species is going to be as badly affected. Let's hope not, as it is a nicer looking tree.

Twybill

Postby woodlander » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:21 pm

My wood is near Bala Lake and have applied for a licence to thin my woods and about 3 weeks ago had a visit from Forest research wales to test for p ramorum they use a chemical test on the leaves in the woods ,its a bit like testing for lime with a colour chart, one (european larch)had one or two brown needles in each cluster and was a possible reactor, samples were taken for lab testing and am waiting to hear apparently if you hear nothing for 2 weeks it's probably Ok, Reading up on the forestry web site it appears they pay £600 per acre towards the cost of felling the larch and as I understand it no longer require them to be taken out but can be left in situ ,can anyone confirm this ?

woodlander

Postby woodlander » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:30 am

Yes...Just got the all clear from Forest reasearch on P ramoram tests (sample sent 13th May)However it does throw up a potential liability should anyone get a compulsory felling order if like me your larch is inter planted the cost of felling could be substantial I wonder if Beech tree insurance cover this ?

woodlander

Return to Trees and Plants