Small Woodland Owners' Group

December - What I have done in this month

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby MartreCycle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:42 pm

An opportunity to share information about the work/tasks/activities done in your woodland during December.

Can be big projects, minor works, laborious, tedious,relaxing, mundane, exciting, interesting etc. The item does not have be original and can be the same as other activities done in any other month.

The aim of this months thread is to give folk an idea of what owning a wood involves - glamourous and not so glamourous.

Traditionally December is a month of Holly, Ivy, Christmas trees, wreaths and country side boxing day walks !!

MartreCycle

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Been taking down the Larch to help the ash trees and light some light to encourage flora.

Planking a Scots pine is we can put at the front of our muddy caravan.

Darren

Postby docsquid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 am

So far planted 8 native fruit trees in the orchard part of our wood, and built a greenhouse to protect seedling trees (and possibly grow some vegetables too). Planning to start coppicing this weekend.

docsquid

Postby greyman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:09 am

Am seriously envious of all you active peeps - had an op the other day (not serious but movment inhibiting) and am not able to 'get down and dirty' at the moment. This has stopped the coppice project along the bottom path next to the seasonal stream. Was hoping to be able to get back to it over the Christmas Break but will have to see how things go.

Have fun,

Greyman

greyman

Postby Darren » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Don't push yourself, Greyman.

Still felling larch doesn't look like I've done anything except the stacked wood.

Been making posts using the larch

repairing ruts after all this rain..

Darren

Postby tracy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Practising my split level felling cut on some big chestnut! Getting ok at it ;-)

tracy

Postby jillybean » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Planted another 30 trees that some kind soul dropped off, hurt my back :( spent hours sharpening all sharps with Japanese whetstone. sharpened myself into a sort of trance. Watched the tree fellers with awe. shame theres only two of them.

jillybean

Postby John H » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Just back from a week in Wales.

I spent a couple of days in the woods, milled a large oak that I had off my neighbouring farmer, he had some gate posts out of it, I brought back some nice 2" planks. Cut a couple of Norway spruce down to bring back for Christmas. Rained every day so plenty of mud about. The fox hunt had been through a few days previously and there was a stray hound roaming about. Apparently they shot 6 foxes, this is sheep country and they have to keep the fox numbers down. Organised the collection of a new toy.

John

John H

Postby Kentish Man » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Two questions if I may - re: the fox "hunting" or whatever it is that they are "supposed" to do nowadays - do the hunt organisers have to have permission to cross people's land? I only ask this as one day I aim to own a woodland and have absolutely no idea about any historical rights of way or anything like that that hunts may retain to this day with regards to crossing land, etc...

Secondly, as its nearly Christmas (I'm allowed to say that now as its December) and perhaps more to the point for some people, it also means its nearly over too(!!!) - my wife bought a "pot grown Blue Spruce" from Tesco and wants to give it to her Mum to plant in her garden after its all over. Now, a) is it likely to survive and b), what sort of planting considerations / advice would you give regarding planting it outside (and maintaining it whilst its indoors for that matter!).

Thank you : )

Kentish Man

Postby John H » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Yes the hunt have to have permission to hunt on your land.Round here they use dogs and guns, no horses. Having said that we do not own the hunting rights to this woodland the neighbouring farmer does , this is not a problem to us.

Regarding you xmas tree, I would have it in central heating the least time possible, keep it watered. When you plant it out make sure it is not in a windy situation.

John

John H

Return to Woodland Activities