Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chainsaw trousers

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby James M » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm tall and slim - 6'2" and 12 1/2 stone. I always have issues with getting any trousers to fit.

With chainsaw trousers, to fit my waist, they are always 2-4 inches short on the leg.

Are they meant to be like that - do you wear them long or short? do you protect the gap with your boots?

Cheers.

James M

Postby RichardKing » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Have you tried talking to major suppliers of chainsaw trousers ?

Jones are very knowledgeable & stock a wide range http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/

RichardKing

Postby DaveTaz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Chainsaw trousers should be worn as long as possible without getting in the way but ensuring they come well down over the boots. You could look at chaps - single leggings that fasten on to a belt - these should be more adjustable

DaveTaz

Postby carlight » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi ,

Us skinny types nead to wear braces with saw trousers .Braces with ~2 inch wide elastic are best . Of course , the ones with ' husqvarna' written on them are best of all !

carlight

Postby JamesMio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:44 am

To avoid looking like a pushy salesman, I'd like to make it clear now that I work for Clarks who are a forestry equipment supplier. I don't wish to use this place as an advertising board, nor have I any intention of shoving products down peoples throats - please could someone let me know if there are any issues with me posting here (I promise only to add to discussions that I feel I may be of some help to!)

Right, now that's out of the way... there are a couple of manufacturers of chainsaw trousers that might just have something suitable for you James - they're SIP and Stretch Air.

Stretch Air are right up at the top end of the market (in terms of both quality and, unfortunately, price!) and firmly aimed at professional chainsaw users and Arborists. SIP meanwhile have a huge range and are a bit lower priced.

Stretch Air chainsaw trousers have the option of an additional 7cm leg length - see here for an example:

http://www.clark-engineering.com/forestry-equipment-shop/detail/119/118/stretch-air-full-stretch-chainsaw-trousers-type-c

This would mean that you could simply order the size that fits your waist and add the extra 7cm to the legs. Be warned, Stretch Airs are excellent, but they're not cheap!

The other option, which I've not yet got added to our website (but I'm working on it) is the SIP Traditional Tall - see here:

http://www.workware.co.uk/by-brand/sip-protection/chainsaw-trousers/1sp3-traditional-tall-chainsaw-trousers-a-gree/orange.html

These would be roughly around half the price of the Stretch Air's.

Hope this helps to at least give you some hope that there may be something available for you?

If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

Cheers

James

JamesMio

Postby tracy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 am

Hi James

Great to hear from you and we are happy with useful advice along with some sales pitches! If you would like to advertise your shop, do an article for our newsletter etc I would be pleased to get something from you

And yes, keep posting useful things!

Tracy

[email protected]

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Hello

What about large waist and short legs (28 inch) I have stihl trousers and there is more cloth at the boot end than I need but I can not shorten, only tug up using the compulsory branded braces.

I suppose if I turned it up inside it would be double protection to my ankles (I also wear chainsaw wellies).

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby JamesMio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Aha, now there's a question I can genuinely identify with - I'm a 36" waist (although I do protest that this is muchly to do with having big chunky ex-rugby playing legs as anything else), with 29 leg - I feel your pain entirely!

There are lots of concerns about altering the protective chainsaw material and it's certainly not advisable to do so.

Like you say, doubling them up would increase the level of protection, but it does mean that they can get very very hot (especially on days like today) very quickly, which can be a danger in itself.

This is a problem that we're working on, there are plenty of short legged chainsaw operators out there, and as soon as we can source a suitable product I'll be sure to let you know.

Please feel free to get in touch (either give us a call on 01387 860241, or my email is [email protected]) and we'll do our best to help find you something suitable.

JamesMio

Postby Henrietta » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:24 pm

I bought my chainsaw trousers about two years ago, from a shop that sold forestry equipment. I didn't think about it at the time, but the trousers only have the protection at the front of the legs. I did a basic chainsaw course and the instructor was checking all the equipment before we started. He said he hadn't seen trousers like that before. I have looked at the requirements of other courses and actually phoned Plumpton College in West Sussex. They said they would not allow these trousers to be worn on their courses. Does anyone know why these trousers are sold, if they are not suitable?.

Henrietta

Postby tracy » Sat May 01, 2010 7:37 am

Trousers with protection only at the front? That is what we have and all that is needed when you are not climbing... I think they are called Type C, and Type A are all around protection.

our instructor was fine with them and wore them himself.

How odd?

tracy

Next

Return to Woodland Activities