Small Woodland Owners' Group

Foraging opportunity

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby greyman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 pm

I couldn't agree more with most of what is said in the defence of 'harvesting' the greenery. My point is I am fed up with programs on tele and web sites that extol the vertues of Joe public 'getting out there' and digging around. I don't hold myself up as the most enlightened person in the world but I wouldn't start traipsing around the countryside picking this that and the other just 'cos I read it on a web site or saw it on the TV - unfortunately others do - just witness the lovely people returning from a walk in the woods with armsfull of blue bells or wilting posies of primroses. If you look at this chaps web site he also wants to encourage others to supply his group with foraged food - I think I am right in my belief that he does this as a business and supplies 'chefs' in various establishments around the south. If this is so is it really so much different to farmers harvesting the land.

greyman

Postby tracy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 am

Anyone read Ishael by Daniel Quinn? Fascinating comment on the Leavers and Takers of the world. Once you get past some weirdness - a really good challenging read.

So, created foraging... .anyone growing mushrooms on logs yet? I did a course on it and we still haven't started....

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:26 am

Well said Greyman.

I believe almost all of the plants on their list can be grown in your garden.

In fact in the case of several even a window box or bucket would do.

So why take them from the wild ?

RichardKing

Postby John H » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:10 pm

I will not be growing plants in window boxes if I can go for a walk through the woods and collect a few as I go round . Neither will I be rearing rabbits and squirrels in the shed at the bottom of the garden while I can shoot them as I walk.

John H

Postby Keith Williams » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm all for making use of all the woods resources - if you can get some food this way it encourages you to increase the diversity of whats growing. If you take all of a particular plant you've destroyed that resource. As mentioned above, leave some to regenerate, distribute any seeds etc. Would be very bad if trespassers just grab everything edible for commercial gain without caring about the long term.

Keith Williams

Postby RichardKing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 pm

John, the subject of the blog makes it very clear that it is about commercial harvesting of wild plants.

NOT "collect a few as I go round"

RichardKing

Postby jillybean » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:09 pm

My original thought was for someone who was suffering from an abundance of Sitka spruce. How great it would be to rid themselves of it by selling it. Brambles dominate my wood, they prevent most other plants from growing. If someone offered to buy some of these Brambles (ha ha) Id be very happy. However, I would be a fool to sell every last one. Some people struggle to make ends meet and welcome any ideas to keep afloat. with the Knowledge that people are willing to buy some plants it may encourage folk to cultivate these plants in their woods. if folk dont diversify there will be an awful lot of stalls selling stools, spoons and spurtles at wood fairs. No it wont make a fortune, but it costs less than growing Sitka spruce in a window box.

jillybean

Postby James M » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:53 pm

JillyB - I have 16000+ of the spiky things - what does your book say I can do with them? I saw Ray Mears make tea, but mine tastes better with a tea bag - that's all I thought you could do with them.

James M

Postby jillybean » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm

www.forager.org.uk say they will buy Sitka spruce shoots. look under "opportunities" I have no idea what they make with them. Wild Sitka spaghetti with a caviar of foxgloves in a nettle jus on a bed of finely milled jews ear no doubt

jillybean

Postby greyman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Touché to us doubting Thomas's eh? ;~)

greyman

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities