Small Woodland Owners' Group

March - What I have done in this month

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby tracy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Are you going to save some toads this month?

40,000 toads to be rescued from death on Britain’s roads

Volunteers are gearing up to rescue over 40,000 toads from death on the UK’s roads in the coming fortnight, setting a new record.

The action is being coordinated to highlight to planners and highways authorities that roads need to be made more amphibian-friendly, to stop toads from undergoing further local extinctions in the UK.

With the sudden arrival of the milder spring conditions, toads across the country are now beginning their seasonal migrations to breeding ponds. At many sites, these migrations occur across busy roads and thousands of toads become victims of road traffic. A national network of volunteer ‘toad patrollers’ exists to help toads across designated roads, armed with torches and buckets.

This network of over a thousand volunteers rescued 34,970 toads last spring – the equivalent of a line of toads the length of 5,500 London buses.

The volunteers are coordinated through Toads on Roads, a campaign run by the charity Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (ARC). 758 toad-crossing points have been registered with the charity.

“These volunteer toad patrollers are incredibly committed and some volunteers have been out on spring nights saving toads for almost 25 years.” said Lucy Benyon, ARC’s Toads on Roads coordinator.

“This spring, we’re keen to break the 40,000 toad-mark, partly as a symbolic gesture to show planners and highways authorities that this is a serious issue for wildlife conservation, and that this issue isn’t going away without their taking notice.”

The common toad Bufo bufo has experienced declines in parts of the UK, in some cases caused by the effect of road traffic. In 2007, the common toad was added to the Government’s Biodiversity Action Plan (UK BAP) priority species list.

Amphibian and Reptile Conservation is keen to inform planners and highways engineers about measures they can take to make amphibian-friendly roads. To help, they have produced a best-practice booklet called Common toads and roads: guidance for planners and highways engineers. The booklet is being given free to local authorities across England.

“Public bodies have a responsibility to consider biodiversity priority species, including toads, when they are planning new roads and other developments.” said Dr John Wilkinson, ARC’s species expert.

Measures that roads can take to be more amphibian-friendly include: ‘toad tunnels’, wildlife bridges, and lowered kerbs (which toads can climb) to escape the road surface.

To find your nearest registered toad crossing, visit: www.arc-trust.org/toadsonroads

tracy

Postby jillybean » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:58 pm

I gotta get a TOAD ON THE ROAD t shirt. it could be the next cult item.

jillybean

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:46 pm

The sun shone again - a spring cleaning day in the wood..

Strimmered the area around the hardstanding - and piled the grass/brambles into a couple of piles. The theory - stops the brambles over running the area allowing smaller less dominant plant species to grow plus gives shelter/sun bathing spot for passing snakes.

Replaced missing fence staples - no sagging now

Did a litter pick along the roadside - as ever, appalled at accumulating a black rubbish bag in no time -

MartreCycle

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Would love some more detail on what you are up to for the newsletter. Anyone want to send me a photo or 2 with a little right up on what you are doing?

tracy

Postby MartreCycle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Planted 125 Downy Birch - with the previous preparation -

canes and spirals in place, ground cleared, managed to zoom through the planting.

Trees were 20-40cm / 40-60 - with compost plugs ( as opposed to bare rooted)

I must comment - totally recommend "plugs" - as it helps reduce the chance of the roots drying out.

Weather was also ideal - no overnight frost and mild

MartreCycle

Postby RichardKing » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:23 am

Went on the one day "Introduction to Tree Climbing" course run by Plumpton College at the Woodland Enterprise Centre at Flimwell on the 11th.

Nick Gibbs was booked, but he asked me to substitute as he was too busy.

My photos & report are with Nick, so I wont pre-empt the article, but I can report that it was an interesting & enjoyable day.

RichardKing

Postby David H » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:00 am

I did a Tree climbing course back in 1993 AA8 Part 1, really enjoyed it but as a tree feller I knew where I wanted to stay and that was on the ground taking trees down ! I could climb as good as any of the lads on the course I just knew after doing the course that I would not be following that path, some people are meant to be up trees I'm not.

The skill of a good tree climber is exceptional when you think of all the issues they have to concider when taking out limbs or the tree down in sections, although the availibility of cherry pickers and other mobile platforms as made it easy for some jobs. I used to enjoy doing the ground work while the climbers went up and set to reducing the size of the tree rather than just taking them out and then several months later when the tree took shape again, you could see if the person doing the job had the vision of the shape or just chopped away !

It's a great skill to have and would be very handy for woodland owners who have a lot of small dead fall hanging and stag headed trees, but I would say if it's a big job get in someone who does this work all the time, as the accidents that happend with chainsaws and big trees usally require more than just a plaster

David H

Postby wood troll » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 am

Just finished off some late hazel coppicing (stools cut down but as yet not sorted out) and hedge laying before the tweeties get down to business. Otherwise been busy with normal work and on other people's roofs after the big storm .

wood troll

Postby jillybean » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:11 am

Having just lovingly innoculated a load of logs with shitake Mushrooms, I stacked them as per instructions,only to find Yesterday that something had removed the wax seals and eaten the spawn. anyone else had this problem? I suppose I will have to buy chicken wire and box them in now. its either that pheasant who hangs out in the holly, or those pesky squirrels. Or it might be a woodpecker. they have got the spawn out to a depth of and inch.

jillybean

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:25 pm

That's annoying, maybe wrapped them up in clear builder plastic sheet?

Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities