Small Woodland Owners' Group

March - What I have done in this month

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby John H » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:17 pm

I just about planted enough oak and ash to be able to claim my replanting grant before the end of the month.

I had to have a bonfire to give me the space to replant, it was nice and dry and I had the fire burning well as I pushed up the brash with the front end loader on my tractor. I pushed a bit too far and I felt the front axle mount an old spruce stump. ( I must remember to try and cut them lower.) I put the tractor in reverse but it was well set, I tried pulling it off with my pick up without success so I had to swallow my pride and phone my neighbouring farmer who rushed round with his tractor and pulled me off. As soon as the tractor was clear the flames roared up. I don't think my tractor was near enough to catch fire but it was a bit too close for comfort. How did we ever manage without mobile phones?

The nice thing about the incedent was that the farmer was genuinely delighted to be able to come over and help. He told me the same thing had happened to him a couple of months before, as he was pushing up a fire the tractor stalled and would not restsrt due to a flat battery. He had to run back to the farm and get another tractor to pull the first away from the fire.

John H

Postby jillybean » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for that Darren, ill give it a go. John, maybe you should get a fire engine too!

jillybean

Postby Twybill » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:16 pm

Finishing coppicing some Hazel this month; I always leave it until the lambs' tails on the branches have finished shedding their pollen as it seems such a shame to cut earlier and lose this lovely sulphurous yellow spectacle. Hazel often takes till midsummer before any vigorous growth starts on the new coppice shoots. Done a number of Oak re-pollards this winter. Try and start some Oak pollards on your younger trees. It makes for variety in the woodland and is excellent for the wildlife.

Twybill

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Nursing a bad back so i can finish off the coppicing

Darren

Postby rogerspianocat » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm half way through planting 370 willow cuttings. The ground is stony and the large screwdriver that I was using to make holes broke after not many, so that slowed me down for the rest of Friday. Today I got the angle grinder to an old garden fork and took off 3 of the 4 tines, so tomorrow I should have an easier time of it, I hope. Clearing the brambles was so much fun too!!!!

Then on Wednesday I have a day off work so that I can build a rainwater collector for the willow - you know the sort of thing, hazel frame with tarp over and one or two water butts. I think I'll enjoy that more than clearing brambles.

And I've been excitedly watching the bluebells emerge - hope they don't come out when we're on hols!

rogerspianocat

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities