Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chain saw mill

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby woodbodger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Sharpened the chain to a chisel tip, seems like I removed half the tooth but it cuts much cleaner and at just about 1 foot per min which is faster but I think I should be looking for 2 ft per min so now it's down to the chain saw. It has to be said the portek sharpener does a fabulously accurate job in my opinion much better than a file or the rotary sharpener, I have had a blitz and sharpened every single chain I have!

woodbodger

Postby Rich » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 am

Hi Woodbodger,

I've steered clear of too much gadgetry for chain sharpening, but it was drummed into us on a chainsaw course recently how important a correctly maintained chain is to the overall running of the saw and of course the efficiency it cuts with. Since then I seem to be spending a lot of time alone in the shed! Just wondering if this Portek sharpener is a time saver, or just better at getting accurate results. I use a simple guide and usually 3 or 4 swipes on a new file is sufficient, takes me 10 or 15 minutes if I have to take down the depth guages as well. If I chip a cutter and have to take the rest down it's a lot longer (and usually I try and get away without doing it - seems such a waste of a chain!)

Is this sharpener quicker on routine sharpening or quicker for taking all the cutters down to the same size? I think I'm getting better with my sharpening so probably wouldn't bother with one unless it saved a lot of time.

cheers

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby woodbodger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 pm

I think you could get through chains quite fast using this sharpener, but having said that It does cut the teeth extremely accurately and consistently far better, I think, than, file with guide or the rotary stone. Examining the teeth of the chain with a magnifying glass there were a lot of inconsistencies and poor angles that this quickly put right, now for a while I will dress it with a file until I feel the there is a need for more drastic sharpening and believe me it is fast and accurate.

woodbodger

Postby RichardKing » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Anyone milling would benefit by reading this and many of the older threads on the subject by people who know what they are talking about & problem solving.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/alaskan-mill/18848-help-specification-alaskan-mill-saw.html

RichardKing

Postby adam » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Woodbodger,

Does your Portek adjust the depth gauges? What model is it?

I fancy a new gadget to make sure my chains are more consistent every now and again but it is not clear to me if these sharpeners do the whole job or just the cutters.

Thanks,

Adam.

adam

Postby woodbodger » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 pm

hi it's only the smallest cheapest portek sharpener the "mini chainmaster". No it only cuts the teeth but does this very effectively and they are all then exactly the same so from time to time it will still be necessary to take down the gauges. I must admit to being well impressed with this device and I will be putting my rotary dremel type in moth balls ( been using it and it's kin for over 20 years.) This sets it up so nicely i am going to revert to a file for polishing in the field.

woodbodger

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities