Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland & Back-garden

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Woodland & Back-garden

Postby mathumb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi,

This is my first post so be gentle with me .... :)

I am purchasing a new family home in the suburbs. One of the attractions of the property is that it has a half-acre of woodland attached to it.

It's certain that the developer would have built on the woodland if he could but he clearly didn't get planning permission.

The house has a small back garden. Then there is a two bar wooden fence with a gate. Then there is the woodland. I would like a fraction more garden - i.e. lawn rather than woodland. I'd like to move the fence back maybe two or three metres.

I am asking the developer's solicitor what my obligations are with respect to the woodland.

In the meantime, does any know whether what I am allowed to do with respect to the garden and the woodland. I understand that trees of a certain size, I can't remove but can I lay more lawn?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance on this,

mathumb
mathumb

Re: Woodland & Back-garden

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:31 pm

you will get a more tech answer from the solicitors, but a friend of mine has something very similar to what you describe, from what he told me, is that basically he has broken the law, as he cultivated the woodland with grass, added picnic benches, a pond, a tree house etc, and by all rights, it is supposed to be left as it was, how that differs from those of us that own woodland is strange, as we have campsites,benches etc, but maybe its because its not on an adjoining residential property
Dexter's Shed

Postby mathumb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Interesting - does your friend fear discovery?
mathumb

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm

probably not, he was a surveyor, I don't know what the penalty would be, but at the worse simply stop cutting the grass/weeding, let it go wild???
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:04 pm

ok, spoke to my friend, its because it classed as green belt, his advice, take the dividing fence down, leave a couple of years, put it back a few meters further back
Dexter's Shed

Postby mathumb » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:05 pm

thank you dexter's shed to both you and your friend
mathumb

Return to All things legal