Small Woodland Owners' Group

Beech Tree insurance

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Postby tracy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks Gary!

tracy

Postby tracy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Gary, just looking at the form to fill it in, have some questions!

Do you also do personal cover? (can you insure us to work on other people's land?)

Employer's liability - this includes friends and family helping- so do we estimate the number of people that might visit the wood during the year, or is that a separate question?

If we earn less than £5000 pa is the wood called 'not commercial' for the purposes of this quote? (and can leave that section out)

Events open to the public- does this mean people that are not friends and family?

Would charcoal burning count for noxious fumes?

thanks!

Tracy

tracy

Postby thebeechtree » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Tracy,

Working on other people's land isn't a problem; the policy would cover you as owners/workers of your own land and workers on others' lands. The main difference would be that injury to yourselves would not be covered if occurring on your own land as you are the owners. You'd need some personal accident cover for that.

Employer's Liability: no, I don't need numbers.

Yes, we're going to set the "commercial" threshold at £5,000 income per year.

The events question is designed for organised events such as guided tours, musical concerts and the like, ie where you arrange an event that is open to the general public, perhaps with a ticket price. This would be a specific risk for me to consider, which is different to the normal use of the wood by the public for recreation.

Charcoal burning: no, I wouldn't include that in the noxious group.

Hope this helps.

There hasn't been much response so far but at least I hope we've managed to clarify the insurance question and help with some advice!

Gary

thebeechtree

Postby tracy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks Gary, very helpful, last question! Lots of people have already taken our RAP public liability insurance. If they want to, can they top it up with yours to include employer's liability?

Will email you more...

tracy

Postby thebeechtree » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi Tracy,

Well, yes, they can do that - but that would mean they had paid for an element of cover (public liability) twice over... It would be unprofessional of me to comment on another insurer's product except in the most general terms, but I thought there was some dissatisfaction with the existing scheme?

Anyway, glad to help.

thebeechtree

Postby tracy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm

In case you missed it folks, you can get the quote form from Gary, me, or download it from here:

http://www.swog.org.uk/news/woodland-insurance/

tracy

Postby steve rollnick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:25 am

Dear Gary,

I appreciate very much that you have linked up with SWOG. I am interested in getting some insurance, and am hoping that we can fix up a quote that meets my needs and is reasonable in price.

Many thanks, Steve

steve rollnick

Postby thebeechtree » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 am

Hi Steve,

I hope I can help! Just complete the form as best you can and I'll take a look and do the quote.

Best wishes,

Gary

thebeechtree

Postby ncrawshaw » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 pm

I am interested in this insurance too. However, perhaps the reason that Gary hasn't received much response yet is because the RAP insurance (which seems to have been the most well known alternative previously) renews for everyone on 1st July. As the reminders for renewal went out at the beginning of June, most people who actually insure their woods will have paid up for the next year before this scheme became more widely known. I suppose that despite the fact that Gary's cover is better, we are reluctant to pay up twice for insurance. I expect that Gary will get lots of interest next June/July

ncrawshaw

Postby tracy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi Nick, yes, I think that is true. We can add the 'employers liability' bit using Gary - but perhaps many are going to wait til next year. It is unfortunate that the renewals came up just before we met G!

tracy

PreviousNext

Return to All things legal