Small Woodland Owners' Group

New member.

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Re: New member.

Postby Rich » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am

I also go out on rabbit patrol at least once and sometimes twice a night and any of them getting too close are dealt with quite severely. I've disposed of somewhere between 20 or 30 over the rest of the farm over the past few weeks and there's still plenty of them about.

Hi Wilbert I know you're probably sitting around wandering what to do with yourself, but maybe there's a business opportunity for someone! There is a real resurgance of interest in natural pet food, Humans aren't the only ones to suffer unpalatable/unhealthy things in their ready meals! googling 'raw meaty bones' will open a can of worms for pet owners interested! We've sometimes had to buy in frozen rabbit, (guts out skin and head on) so not much processesing about £2.50 each. It will do pets a real favour, not only does it occupy them for much longer than woooofing down a can of mush, but it's what they evolved over thousands of years to eat. It might pay for a few replacement trees too!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Wilbert » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Rich wrote:Hi Wilbert I know you're probably sitting around wandering what to do with yourself, but maybe there's a business opportunity for someone! There is a real resurgance of interest in natural pet food, Humans aren't the only ones to suffer unpalatable/unhealthy things in their ready meals! googling 'raw meaty bones' will open a can of worms for pet owners interested! We've sometimes had to buy in frozen rabbit, (guts out skin and head on) so not much processesing about £2.50 each. It will do pets a real favour, not only does it occupy them for much longer than woooofing down a can of mush, but it's what they evolved over thousands of years to eat. It might pay for a few replacement trees too!

I'll certainly have a look Rich, even as a dog owner myself it'll be interesting to find out a bit.

ratcatcher wrote:have you looked into DROP TRAPS as a long term solution on the rabbits, using these would mean you could check in daylight hours, rather than out every night, and each trap can hold upto 20/30 rabbits, if need be I can send you drawings on how to make your own from plywood, rather than paying out ££££'s for the metal topped ones

I'll have to look in to that as well, not something I've ever encountered over here but then that's not surprising in this country! I'd appreciate those plans, my e-mail is [email protected] Thanks very much.
Wilbert

Postby Devonman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi Wilbert, Really interesting to read of your endeavors. I am in the process of obtaining 2.25 acres of pasture land which I intend planting up with around 1000 bare root British natives. Unfortunately I've missed the March deadline for planting thanks to slouthfullness of solicitors, now planning on a November plant. Did you install deer fencing? I've been told it's a must. Did you plant all yourself or get in help? I assume you are using spirals? I intend planting in slits, interesting to hear you had root too big for slits and had to dig holes. I am against straight lines, intend planting in irregular blocks for future good looks, though I am told this will involve more work in the future. I look on this as a ten year project with a further ten years of pure enjoyment.
Devonman

Postby Wilbert » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:50 am

Devonman wrote:Hi Wilbert, Really interesting to read of your endeavors. I am in the process of obtaining 2.25 acres of pasture land which I intend planting up with around 1000 bare root British natives. Unfortunately I've missed the March deadline for planting thanks to slouthfullness of solicitors, now planning on a November plant. Did you install deer fencing? I've been told it's a must. Did you plant all yourself or get in help? I assume you are using spirals? I intend planting in slits, interesting to hear you had root too big for slits and had to dig holes. I am against straight lines, intend planting in irregular blocks for future good looks, though I am told this will involve more work in the future. I look on this as a ten year project with a further ten years of pure enjoyment.

My apologies for not replying, must seem very rude :oops:

Got my planting finished late March, just in time for the busy period of my "paying" occupation, and have been very busy at other things since. Will post a decent and hopefully useful reply to your questions in the next few days, assuming you still intend to plant this winter.

Sorry again.
Wilbert

Previous

Return to Introductions