Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from Stirlingshire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hello from Stirlingshire

Postby DaveL » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi there, I've just signed up to the forum as an excited new woodland owner, and as suggested, want to introduce myself.

I've been looking off and on for quite a few years, missed out a few times on the way. I live in Edinburgh, and in early December decided to make good use of a rare nice afternoon to look at a wood in Stirlingshire, about 35 miles away, just put on the market by woodlands.co.uk. I was more and more in love with it as I looked round, and called straight away, only to find somebody had beaten me to it in expressing interest. But a couple of days later I got a call to say the other party had dropped out, to my delight! 7 weeks on, and it's all gone through:)

It's a 7 acre broadleaf wood, mature but a bit neglected. Lots of sycamore, beech, ash and birch; the odd holly, a few oak, just one or two pines, and one (?) chestnut. A lovely burn, with another stream flowing in, a waterfall and the ruins of what seems to have been an old mill. Also a few areas with overgrown rhodedendron.
I'm trying to resist making definite plans, until I see what's growing underneath, and a bit more of the wildlife - so far just deertracks in the snow, buzzard in the sky and rabbit fur remains on the ground. Keen to get started though, I've been clearing fallen (small) trees and branches from paths (a bit of an exaggeration really to call them paths), and cutting back some of the rhodedendron outposts. Should I immediately take out tumbledown and redundant fences?

By the way, the name given to the wood by woodlands.co.uk is Craigieburn, and it's part of a much bigger 'ancient' woodland called Barr Wood, about 5 miles more or less due south of Stirling. Not far from Bannockburn - and I was delighted to find that Scotland's national bard Rabbie Burns had already written a song called Craigieburn Wood :)

Scotland's access legislation, which I fully support, means anyone can walk through the woods anyway, but I'd like to extend a warm welcome to fellow woodland people passing that way.

Dave
DaveL

Re: Hello from Stirlingshire

Postby Chunkymunky » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Is there much of the mill left. Can't help thinking that one form of renovation could really make it a place to live and die in. A real dream location
Chunkymunky

Postby Chunkymunky » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Jealous, me, never
Chunkymunky

Postby MattF » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 pm

It sounds very nice just a bit jealous if I ever get up your way would love to take you up on the offer of walking through it

Atb Matt
MattF

Postby DaveL » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks all for your welcomes.

I haven't come across adders in this part of the countryside, only further north, but yes I'll watch out. I made a mistake once of walking through heather in sandals no socks and nearly stepped on a family of adders. More concerned about ticks though, but haven't asked around locally yet. And as for birch sap beer, I've never heard of that - time for some research!

Sadly there's only one (very thick but crumbly) wall of the mill left, but it does straddle the burn.

I haven't checked the rest of the forum yet, is there a place to leave invites to visit eg with grid references?

Dave
DaveL

Postby tracy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Sounds fab Dave. Personally, I wouldn't put your location up on the site, but you could always PM (personal message ) it to people who you had met on here and want to visit. Look forward to hearing more!
tracy

Return to Introductions