Small Woodland Owners' Group

Newbie from Sussex

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Newbie from Sussex

Postby jamieacking » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself, I have recently brought a small 2 acre woodland in the Ashdown Forest, I know virtually nothing about managing woodland, so would be keen to meet up with members and get some advice and education.

Looking forward to meeting other members.

Thanks

Jamie
jamieacking

Re: Newbie from Sussex

Postby jamieacking » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:09 am

Thanks ratcatcher, where abouts is your plot?
jamieacking

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:01 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I good starter for an introduction to basic woodland management would be Christopher Starr's book, Woodland Management, £12 on Amazon

I agree, a good book.

I'd also suggest the BTCV book "Woodlands: A Practical Handbook" by Elizabeth Agate which I think gives more readily understood information on many of the subjects covered through its better use of diagrams. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0946752338
SimonFisher

Postby jamieacking » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone, I think I will start off with the Tao of pooh and see how I get on, if I understand that I will look to progress to the others :-)
jamieacking

Postby The Barrowers » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Hello, We are over near Uckfield. Welcome. I would suggest looking at links and books on Woodland.co.uk site. There is a download of a Julian Evans book

Best Wishes Bernie and Theresa
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Judith » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:05 am

HI Jamie and welcome to SWOG. The free download of Badgers, Beeches and Blisters, a great introduction to woodland ownership, is available from the Woodlands.co.uk site here: http://www.woodlands.co.uk/owning-a-woo ... -blisters/
If you email me at [email protected] I'll try help out with meeting the neighbours!
Judith

Postby Alex » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

If any of you ownland near to the River Uck in Sussex, I'd recommend contacting Sussex Wildlife Trust, they're currently doing a scheme to encourage tree planting to help reduce runoff / flooding from the Rive Uck (Look up TrUck Project)
Alex

Return to Introductions