Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woods in the Midlands

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Woods in the Midlands

Postby Compo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello,

We've just been introduced to the forum through the purchase of a new woodland in Nottinghamshire. I say new, it's been around a good few years judging by the size of the standards (over coppice - grown out), because we've only just bought it. It's our third piece of woodland, we have another small plot in Notts and one in Derbyshire. The one in Derbys. is just a little bit special and will never, never be sold - at least not while I'm alive. The new woodland is Oak dominated against the Ash based tree cover on the other sites (fingers crossed). I'm a qualified biologist and now spend a great deal of my time working with trees too. And I'm old enough to be harvesting firewood from trees I grew from seed. In fact some of the seed came from trees I grew from seed. Love it! No money but all it takes is a bright Spring day and . . . . paradise.
Compo

Re: Woods in the Midlands

Postby Bearwood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 am

Welcome Compo!

Our woodland is located in the middle of the National Forest, are you nearby?
Bearwood

Postby Compo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks!

Depends on your definition of nearby!

We're close to the Notts./Leics. border on the A46 or just outside Ashbourne when we're in Derbys.
Compo

Postby Bearwood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Sounds like we're snack bang between both your plots! We're near Swadlincote ;)
Bearwood

Postby Compo » Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm

I'll try to wave as we go by!
Compo

Postby docsquid » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 am

We're pretty near you - not in the National Forest. We are just outside Tamworth on the Warks/Staffs border.
docsquid

Postby Bearwood » Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 am

I reckon we've enough active folks to restart the midlands group?!
Bearwood

Postby DuncanB » Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm a little south of you; just below Coventry (right next to where they're building a dirty great big railway line!)
DuncanB

Postby Bearwood » Thu May 02, 2013 5:47 pm

DuncanB wrote:I'm a little south of you; just below Coventry (right next to where they're building a dirty great big railway line!)

HS2 swings way south of our wood. Sorry to hear that it comes close to yours! :(
How far is it going to be from yours Docsquid?
Bearwood

Postby DuncanB » Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 am

HS2 passes about 300 yards North of my wood - I haven't had very positive dealings with HS2 Ltd who conducted a nature survey on the property - and then decided that the weren't going to let me know what wildlife they had found! After I'd reminded them that I'd added a clause to their access agreement obliging them to share all data, they still said that they couldn't tell me as it was too difficult to do, and I only got their field observations after I'd threatened legal action! I wouldn't mind so much if HS2 was a worthwhile project, but after spending some time researching it I can only conclude that it's a very silly idea indeed!
DuncanB

Return to Introductions